• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1st ride today---track ratcheting bad or chain jumping?????

unchained

Expert
Took it out around the yard this morning after the 2" of snow we got last night and after getting it warm I hit it coming up from the basement walk out and it ratcheted horribly. I made a few more laps around the yard and whenever I got into it hard it would jump. Took it back into the barn and the track was slightly on the loose side--I guess. When I was rotating the track around by hand I noticed the slop between the track and the secondary was A LOT! I broke the chain adjuster nut loose and ran in the adjuster finger tight and still have the same slop in the driveline??? I even put a wrench on the adjuster and ran it in a few more turns and no better. I havnt rode it again since I adjusted the track but I was wondering if this slop in the chaincase to the driveshaft is normal?

Ok, but I assume the severe ratcheting isnt. I hate to think the track has to be drawn up almost taught to the rails because it was only hanging down about 1.5"

If you tightened your chain more than finger tight, it will take out bearings or the chain. Get the track tight andthen loosen it till it ratchets then tighten back up 1/2 turn. Maxdlx

I have been riding around in the grass a little bit and have had no problem with ratcheting. My track is very tight. My friend who also has an rtx loosened his track up because they are very tight coming from dealer. He hasn't had a problem with ratcheting either.

RTX Meirda said:
you are hooking up huge because you are grabbing the grass....i had the same problem years ago on my RX1
I kind of figured that the ripsaw was biting good into the soft unfrozen grass but Im still very surprised at this.....

unchained said:
I hate to think the track has to be drawn up almost taught to the rails because it was only hanging down about 1.5"

Is that with the 22 lbs hanging on the track or no weight? 1.5" with no weight is a little on the loose side and not anywhere near Yamaha's spec. I would tighten it up a couple turns and try it again. The looser you run it, the better your sliders will do.

crewchief is correct !!

but it even needs to be tighter than he posted!!

22 lbs of down force at the center of your track and the track should only be pulled away from the rail .98 to 1.18 inches!!!
Even 1.5" is too loose!!
With 340 miles on my sled I have had to tighten it 4 times since the first ride (where it was correctly adjusted!) We are required to the run these tracks WAY tighter that any track I have ever ran!!

No I didnt hang weight or even actually measure the gap. Just at a glance it wasnt so "loose" that it would ratchet that bad IMO. The slop in the driveline is what really threw me off otherwise I would have just tightened the track up and took it around the yard again.

Back