• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 RX1 Maintenance

RxThunder

Expert
My 03 now has 4500 miles on it. Exhaust donuts are bad and I will change before next winter, just put a new drive shaft bearing in it, pulled the seal off of the jackshaft bearing and packed it with grease, did all the usual maintenance to the skid, oil change. The low oil light will come on after about 1500 miles, I run 0w 30 Mobil One, ring free in almost every other tank of gas (because I don't travel with any) and sea foam twice a year. Just curious to hear opinions on the oil burning issue and what else I should look into. I have checked all the bushings on the A arms, taking them off again before next season to inspect them again. She runs great and continues to tow sleds off the trail. It will sit most of next winter, just picked up a 2006 Apex Gt but I still want to keep it in good rideable condition. I absolutly love this sled after I did the work to it to make it handle better, I can actually ride it hard and not be sore at the end of the day.

Oil is cheep. I put one quart in mine during the year. It is easier than tearing the motor down to put new rings in it.

Oil is cheep. I put one quart in mine during the year. It is easier than tearing the motor down to put new rings in it.
I agree my 2003 rx1 is using as well. What oil are you using and how much does yours use?

My 03 now has 4500 miles on it. Exhaust donuts are bad and I will change before next winter, just put a new drive shaft bearing in it, pulled the seal off of the jackshaft bearing and packed it with grease, did all the usual maintenance to the skid, oil change. The low oil light will come on after about 1500 miles, I run 0w 30 Mobil One, ring free in almost every other tank of gas (because I don't travel with any) and sea foam twice a year. Just curious to hear opinions on the oil burning issue and what else I should look into. I have checked all the bushings on the A arms, taking them off again before next season to inspect them again. She runs great and continues to tow sleds off the trail. It will sit most of next winter, just picked up a 2006 Apex Gt but I still want to keep it in good rideable condition. I absolutly love this sled after I did the work to it to make it handle better, I can actually ride it hard and not be sore at the end of the day.
Thunder, I have same rx1 and went thru everything like you, just put 1oz of seafoam per qt of oil in engine (3 1/2oz) total, run it 3/4 times in garage till fully hot, ran it for 50 miles and WALLA tail pipes clean as a button, no more soot, and I thought mine ran perfect, until I rode out of garage and thumped it, felt like I gain 20% power, oil will turn pretty dark by 100 miles-drain and replace, I will run 1oz in my oil forever, I have done same thing in old tractor & snow blower with same results, WOW what a difference for 6.99

I use Mobil 1 0-40
When I used Amsoil, I used a lot more oil.
Thanks will have to try that and see if it helps. Much appreciated!

Thanks will have to try that and see if it helps. Much appreciated!
Ron, I can't get a pic of oil to upload that was new with 30 miles on it, anyone who wants to see pic just PM me your cell # and I'll shoot you the pic, Larry

Back