• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2003 RX1 sticks in Reverse

Slug3266

Newbie here. When I put my sled it reverse it works ok, when I put it back in forward it is still in reverse. If I shut the engine off, I hear a click and if I start it again it is now in forward okay. Any fixes for this?

Thanks,
Doug

Just a guess but is your clutch engaging just enough at idle to put torque on the jackshaft? What's your RPM at idle and does your track spin if you lift the rear off the ground while idling?

You dont have enough belt deflection ( too tight ) Take the washers out of the secondary adjuster bolts (3) on the back side of your secondary.

I just had the clutch rebuilt and a new belt put on. It does squeal at idle. Would that mean the belt is too tight?

Thanks,
Doug

Slug,On the Upper Linkage=Loosen locknuts and set the lenth between the locknuts to 27mm, tighten nuts.

Lower Linkage= Loosen locknuts, Turn the threaded adjuster to decrease distance between locknuts untill freeplay is removed, then turn threaded adjuster back 1/4 turn. Tighten locknuts.

adjustment is per yamaha specs.

If the drive belt is squealing, you may need to adjust the deflection. If the sled is creeping at idle, you need an adjustment. If it is not creeping at idle, then until the belt has say 50 miles or so, do not let the sled idle very long while it is squealing. You may still overheat a spot on the belt. To adjust deflection, you may need to take a washer out from under each of the small bolts in the Secondary. This will allow the bolts to screw in further casusing the secondary sheaves to be further apart. This will increase defelction.

Also, too much tension on the drive chain can casue shifting problems. You need to tighten the chain adjuster finger tight and then back it off 1/2 to 1 turn. Then tighten the lock nut.

Also, the length of the shift linkages are very critical. The dimensions between the lock nuts have to be right on the money.

Back