• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RS Rage 1000 TORS Nightmare - HELP

hybridland

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2005 RS Rage, 2001 sxR 700
Purchased a 2005 RS Rage 1000 new in 2007. Have no idea if it had or needed the TORS factory update for the 2005 RS models. Studded the track and put dual carbides on it handled well and it ran great for years. It has been serviced and garage kept. Winter of 2020/2021 had surgery and didn't ride it until the end of the riding season and the drive shaft bearings went out in early spring of 2021. Local small engines mechanic replaced bearings and speedo sensor over summer of 2021. 2021/2022 season, took it out for first ride of the season and got TORS code. Ordered a new sensor - which took forever to get, and still didn't fix it. Tried to disconnect/bypass TORS, but that didn't work. Brought it into a dealership and they went through everything and could not get it running right either. So what dealership is telling us is the TORS sensor needs a special tuner to set it so that the engine runs correctly. Called every dealer we could find and asked around at the 2022 Hay Days event and no one seems to (still) have the tuner anymore. So we apparently have a very good condition, older 4 stroke sled with 7k miles that is basically worthless without a tuner to adjust the TORS sensor. Any one out there with a tuner or any ideas how to get this sled running correctly again?

sounding like you got a bad speedo sensor. when the bearing fails, it usually takes out the sensor and trips the tors code. been there done that.

I have never heard of this so called tuner.
What error codes are showing?
How many of the mechanics have checked the finger connectors that bring the same color wires together?
That's where I'd be looking.

Affected serial range for possible faulty ecu from factory is 001167 through 002924, those are the last six digits of the VIN
You can also look at the ecu to see what numbers are on it. Stock is 8es-00 and updated is 8et-10

Hybridland,
I just fought (over the holiday break as I was prepping sleds for the season) with a TORS issue on a 2005 RS Vector (973cc carbureted triple) that has been in my extended family since knew, and never as far as I know has given a TORS issue. I spent many hours scratching my head and looking through others folks TORS issues online, and kept getting nowhere.

I could very well be wrong but I don't think a bad speedo sensor would give TORS issues. My thought process on that is many many times I have had the belt off (no driveshaft speedo sensor movement) and I have revved up the engine above engagement RPM and the primary clutch snaps closed - usually to warm up the engine before an oil change, and have never gotten a TORS error. Again, could be wrong....my belief is the TORS system just uses inputs from the microswitch up in the throttle lever handle assembly and the throttle position sensor on the rack of carburetors.

I adjusted the throttle cable slack per the owners manual. No luck, still getting TORS fault.

I bypassed the switch at the throttle lever by disconnecting the separate white and black wire connectors and connecting the white and black together on the main harness side. (bypassing by this method should make any throttle cable slack issues a moot point) No luck, still getting TORS fault.

I went through troubleshooting the throttle position sensor using pages from the service manual. There is a process to check resistance across the sensor, and also a process to supply 4.5 volts, and check (reduced) output voltage from the sensor. Two different methods basically doing the same thing since the sensor is a variable resistor. The service manual says put (3) 1.5 volt batteries (like AA's) in series to get a 4.5 volt power supply and wire up to the TPS using a factory service connector tool (this could be the "tuner" that people have told you about). I used (as others online have as well) a 5V 1.0A USB power supply (like a phone charger) and a USB cable that I stripped to get to the red black pos/neg connectors, de-pinned the TPS connector, and connected jumper wires that I made for my power supply/cable and connected my multi-meter per the service manual. TPS checked out, still getting TORS fault. Adjusted the TPS to both end limits in the screw mounting slot, still getting TORS fault. Set TPS position back to the readings that I took before making any changes. No luck, still getting TORS fault.

I swapped ECU's with my 2006 RS Nytro (973cc carbureted triple). No luck, still getting TORS fault.

Finally I believe I found the issue. Because I was doing a lot of startups and not a lot of running during troubleshooting (for the stator to recharge the battery), I put the battery on a charger to freshen it up. After the battery was topped up, the TORS fault would not pop up the first couple of times that I revved the engine up to 5000-6000 RPM and the track speed would take off (on a stand in my shop). After a couple times, the TORS fault would come back. So I repeated topping up the battery with a tender, and same thing, it would work for a few rev-ups then fault. Did that 3-4 times.

In the end, I replaced the battery, and my TORS issue went away. I did not think the battery was the issue since it started strongly and the charging voltage from the stator was 14+ volts. Last year I did have some no-starts on this sled when stored outside for a few weeks in colder weather, so I had a new battery on the shelf ready if needed. After doing the battery charging top ups and seeing the issue go away for short time, put it in and it took care of it!

So my recommendation is try topping up the battery charge a few times and see if it goes away for a short time right after startup, if it does, replace the battery.

Well thanks to all who tried to help…
Here is what I have done:
1) replaced speedo cable. Still have tors issue.
2) verified serial number. Was not in recall series
3 pulled the ECU. Was dash 10. I’d this just to make sure
4 since I had the ECU out figured that I might as well clean the plug and socket with QD contact cleaner. Put it all back together again. Tested in the shop seems like it didn’t throw the TOR rev limit. Took it outdoors and ran it for 1/4 mile, and seems to work. I am still hesitant to ride much further until I have a buddy. I will let you know the results.

Oh ya, forgot to mention that I replaced the battery as the fist thing I did. Didn’t work, in case yin case it isn’t clear.

Well thanks to all who tried to help…
Here is what I have done:
1) replaced speedo cable. Still have tors issue.
2) verified serial number. Was not in recall series
3 pulled the ECU. Was dash 10. I’d this just to make sure
4 since I had the ECU out figured that I might as well clean the plug and socket with QD contact cleaner. Put it all back together again. Tested in the shop seems like it didn’t throw the TOR rev limit. Took it outdoors and ran it for 1/4 mile, and seems to work. I am still hesitant to ride much further until I have a buddy. I will let you know the results.

Oh ya, forgot to mention that I replaced the battery as the fist thing I did. Didn’t work, in case yin case it isn’t clear.
Had issues with my 06 Vector a couple of years after I bought it in 06. Would lose power occaisonally when on the throttle. Bypassed the TORS system as wiharley02 mentioned, and no issues since then.

Taking a moment to update this thread, I had posted a pretty lengthy description earlier in this thread of the TORS error/malfunction that I had on a 2005 Vector. I had thought that a weak battery was my issue, I was able to run the sled for 2 days on the trails (couple hundred miles) and had no TORS issues at all. 2 weeks later on the next trail ride, the TORS issue was back with a vengeance on the trail and ruined the day.

Long story short, check all of your grounds if you are having TORS issues. I had corrosion in the small ground lead off the battery to the main harness (that when corrected still didn't fix the TORS issue), and I had corrosion in the 6-way ground block in the harness near the handlebars. Correcting that ground block has now seemed to fix the issue. There is a 2nd ground block near the main ECU connector as well.

The TORS system is sensitive to electrical resistance. In my case, corrosion in the throttle lever switch circuit wiring increased the resistance and the ECU must have interpreted that as the switch was not closed (zero or very low resistance) and threw the fault. Bypassing the switch by plugging the black and white connectors together did not fix the resistance issue since the corrosion/resistance was further down in the harness.

Back