• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 Vector - I need to pressure test the cooling system

4strokeluvr111

Please stay between the markers!
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Bought a new 05 Vector which I still have
24K miles
I posted this on the RS forum but got no replies so I thought I'd post it here.

I need to pressure test my cooling system to see if I have a small head gasket leak. Does anyone have the testing kit that I can borrow? Or what might be my options. None of my local friends has a bore scope that I can check the cylinders for anything white looking.

Most auto parts stores have tools like this for rent. Put money down to use it and get your money back when returned. Basically using it for free.

Suggest a cylinder leak down test kit - tells you if the loss of compression is due to things like worn rings, burned or stuck open valves (intake or exhaust) or a leaking head gasket. The kits are under $100.

Most auto parts stores have tools like this for rent. Put money down to use it and get your money back when returned. Basically using it for free.
Even with the smaller than "standard" hole like on my Vector? I'll have to check them out.

Suggest a cylinder leak down test kit - tells you if the loss of compression is due to things like worn rings, burned or stuck open valves (intake or exhaust) or a leaking head gasket. The kits are under $100.
Good idea, but I'm unemployed right now so the Warden wouldn't be happy if I spent MORE to fix my sled than I'm doing now. It's POSSIBLE that I have a small leak somewhere and a pressure test will at least hoses and connections.

My sled does have almost 24K miles on it.

What makes you think you have a head gasket leak?
Out of the blue on Saturday (before my header cracked) my digital temp gage went crazy which means it's low on coolant. I think I'm good about looking my sled over and was surprised that I was down so much on coolant. No visible leaks coming form under the sled. So with 24K miles on the sled, a hose or fitting could have a slight leak. Or I've heard of head gaskets going out on the 973 motor.

Check the side heat exchangers near where the rear suspension cross shaft bolts to the tunnel.
I had a leak where the RS cross-shaft bolt on my M10 rubbed into the exchanger. I have no clue how or why it loosened up. Took the shaft out, cleaned and regreased it. Used JB Weld as a fix to hopefully get me through the season. Will have it tig welded over the summer. Reinstalled the skid and so far so good after a 115 mile ride yesterday.

Oh, and BTW. The testing kits you can rent at an auto parts store....none of them had a cap small enough to fit on my overflow bottle. Yamaha has a special part that fits and uses a standard pressure gage setup...per my dealer.

I know this kit came with various adapters and was expecting to have to use its universal one (ie. the tapered cone one) but then was worried it would be too long and would bottom out in the reservoir. Thankfully, the smallest adapter fit in the mouth of the reservoir of my 18 Apex where I was able to test holding pressure. It also worked when flushing the coolant in my 08 Apex as well.

I know this kit came with various adapters and was expecting to have to use its universal one (ie. the tapered cone one) but then was worried it would be too long and would bottom out in the reservoir. Thankfully, the smallest adapter fit in the mouth of the reservoir of my 18 Apex where I was able to test holding pressure. It also worked when flushing the coolant in my 08 Apex as well.

I wonder if your Apex has a larger opening? All three parts stores had similar kits and the local Yami dealer wouldn't loan theirs to me.

Back