• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Apex to 2011 Apex

breakinbarrs

Expert
I have had three different first gen apex since 06 and have dealt with the ex donuts, pipes a arm bushings steering bushings etc. I am looking at low mile 2011 se 4000 miles. Do we still experience the same issues as the first generation. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I went from a 07 to a 2012 and I have just north of 7000 miles on it. the only maintenance I have had has been Exup cables. the rest seems to be fixed. my steering has a little slop but that never bothered me on the 07 either. the A-arms have grease zerks now and the donuts don't seem to fail.

HUGE way worth it I have said many times they should have changed the name of the sled it is such a difference

it didn't take 30 seconds on the new sled to know it was way better.

I would say there has been some good improvement's from the 06-10 to the newer 11-16 Apex's. Grease zerk's on the A arms, the a/c plug on the handle bars, Exhaust pipe's are 1 piece with the EXUP valve in them not 2 piece, The EXUP valve needs attention, I don't know if it's a good trade off or not, replacing cable's and keeping them adjusted or replacing the pipe's for crack's. I don't know. I've had to replace both mine and the wife's cables within 7000 miles. Power steering I don't notice a difference but my wife does. All in all for what they go thru they are an off road vehicle that needs maintenance and care. The wife went from an 06 to a 13 and I went from an 07 to a 12. We live to ride- ride to live.

Last edited:
How about the handwarmer issue? Do we still need yamaheaters? Is it easy to check to see if the exup cables need replaced?

10,000 miles on my 11 Apex XTX. Donuts are tight and not leaking. Bushings are tight and yep you can grease them. Hand warmers work well. Power steering is awesome and if I didn't have it I probably would not be riding anymore with these shoulders. Rear skid has a ton of grease fittings. Exup valve cables still good and working properly with no failures to this date. Yep they should have changed the name its a whole different sled. The only complaint I have so far is they made the tank a half gallon smaller for the power steering. Still get 120 to 130 miles range on average. But wet sticky snow can drop that a lot.

How about the handwarmer issue? Do we still need yamaheaters? Is it easy to check to see if the exup cables need replaced?
Didn't need yamaheaters on our 06, 07, I think the 12,13 are better, everybody has different opinions on the heaters, don't use warmers much. Yes it's easy to check for broken cables, just have to remove servo cover and check tension on cables, left side above relays, to replace cables you have to remove seat and gas tank.

Thanks for the replies. I read that the XTX needs additional tunnel protection when studding. What will be required or what is the simple solution for this?

(Solution) Remove factory bracket's from tunnel protector rail's and make square support bracket's for the protector rails.

Thanks for the replies. I read that the XTX needs additional tunnel protection when studding. What will be required or what is the simple solution for this?

As was said the tunnel support brackets are u shaped and get flattened a bit reducing clearance, fix is put aluminum square tube pieces in. Easier is use a ice ripper track if its just for a bit of ice safety.

Just picked up a 12 XTX today with a Ripsaw ll. Only 3000 miles so I will keep the track. No tunnel protectors. What size tube would work best? May run without studs although I always stud my sleds.

So someone took the tunnel protectors out then? You need to replace them! 1x1 1.5 X1.5 would work but then they have to be spaced out from the tunnel. Can't tell you how far total from tunnel off hand!

Just picked up a 12 XTX today with a Ripsaw ll. Only 3000 miles so I will keep the track. No tunnel protectors. What size tube would work best? May run without studs although I always stud my sleds.
Don't want to rain on your parade , but they don't make a Ripsaw 2 in the 144. if it is true I want one.

Back