• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Apex to 2011 Apex

Just went through my 2011 with 3,500 + miles. Bought as left over in 2013. We ride mostly Quebec but there were some rough days last year like everywhere else. I am a big guy and ride very aggressively. So, I expected like my other sled, some wear in bushings, rusted areas, maybe one or two bearings in need of repacking etc. At one point last season we hammered down a mogul filled trail flat out and I thought for sure there would be collateral damage given our speed and both my weight and the sleds. All I can say is I absolutely love this sled. No major issues. None; a missing stud and a wheel bearing that needed repacking. Bushings all around where great. Jack shaft bearings fine. Even EXUP adjustment was minimal. Yamaha quality is just awesome! I snow checked a Sidewinder for obvious reasons. It will be my 1st Yamacat experiece so kind of uneasy about it. Hopefully Yamaha has infused serious quality into the production after a few years. But Good feeling know this one will be ready to go.

Although the '12 warmers seemed ok...after trying the yamaheater on my Vector, I opted to install on my Apex. So much better....instant heat, vs needing a long, non stop ride to warm the bars.

Instead of tube bracing, I removed the stock protectors and welded gussets to the "c" bracket.....basically converting them to a tube. I absolutely would do something of the sort, if you'll be stud'n....which is what I did.

Rear Mega shock replaced with a HyGear gutted and referb'd Ohlin. Last: Curve skis with slim jims......and switched to Rock's HID lights., and of course the HyGear remote reservoirs on the front.

At 185 lb with gear....even the SE at 129" is a lot of sled to control (for me). I have no idea if an xtx would be even harder. But the listed changes converted mine from a rolling death wagon, literally shooting from one side of the trail to the other....to a smooth, enjoyable sled which takes corners like its on rails.

I have the sidewinder on order....but I don't know if it can match the quality of the Apex.....once the minor upgrades are made.

Q. Arrius

on the newer apexes the hand warmers warm up on idle no need for rpm like the older ones did is a large part of why the stock ones are okay. I had one warmer fail and put after market elements on mine and they are hot hot now. but before that they were good enough.

Don't want to rain on your parade , but they don't make a Ripsaw 2 in the 144. if it is true I want one.
I think that is correct, that machine should be an original Ripsaw 1.

I was going to stud mine, and never did it. This track hooks up pretty good. I have had a couple O-$%7 moments, but I have dealt with it. I am considering an Ice Cobra when this track wears. For my riding, the stocker is performing just fine. 144" with tipped rails is still my favorite configuration in these machines.

I think that is correct, that machine should be an original Ripsaw 1.

I was going to stud mine, and never did it. This track hooks up pretty good. I have had a couple O-$%7 moments, but I have dealt with it. I am considering an Ice Cobra when this track wears. For my riding, the stocker is performing just fine. 144" with tipped rails is still my favorite configuration in these machines.
It is a 1.5 Crossover. Looks similar to the RS 2. I wont be studding this now.

I've been happy with the stock track and no studs. Plenty of traction and sticks good in the corners even if polished a bit. I went to a 1 inch track and 162 studs in a 4-2 pattern up the middle on my Warrior 136. 9,000 miles and no lost studs but a some have no carbide tip anymore. I loved the studs the one year we got quite a bit of rain and freeze though out the winter. Around here however that is not a regular thing. Most winters never see ice at all all winter. In 10,000 miles I've only hit ice a few times and could see it so no problem. Corners can be iced up but one more reason not to run corners hard. Sweepers rarely are iced its some of those of corners hard on brakes then throttle out that can get greased. If I ever go to studs I think it will be a ice ripper type track just for a bit of safety in those rare conditions.

This is great info as I'm a similar boat with similar questions. For those who have had both how to the suspensions compare? I've always felt my '06 Apex suspension was just OK but well behind newer sleds from other manufacturers. Would a 2011/2012 be much different or more of the same?

I think the xtx is as close to the perfect machine I have ever run the suspension is allot better on the newer models some have complained about air ride with the mega float being hard to dial in and can fail if it fails you are dead in the water. most will tell you if you get a 128 to get the coil over shocks. I will tell you to get the XTX with tipped up rails you will not regret it. it can run a little like a lumber wagon in the stutters but with a little effort and a couple bucks you can fix that no other sled I have run can handle the rough like my xtx I find myself running twice as fast as my friends on older model apexes until they too upgraded.

This is great info as I'm a similar boat with similar questions. For those who have had both how to the suspensions compare? I've always felt my '06 Apex suspension was just OK but well behind newer sleds from other manufacturers. Would a 2011/2012 be much different or more of the same?
(IMO) Yamaha suspension are the best in the business, those other junk manufacturers cant go the miles a Yamaha 1 can.
The mono 2 has some improvements from the older years, moving the upper wheels from the shaft to the tunnel mounted. I don't like how they moved the rear axle adjusters, to the side of the rails.
The XTX skid with the tip up rails is awesome.

(IMO) Yamaha suspension are the best in the business, those other junk manufacturers cant go the miles a Yamaha 1 can.
The mono 2 has some improvements from the older years, moving the upper wheels from the shaft to the tunnel mounted. I don't like how they moved the rear axle adjusters, to the side of the rails.
The XTX skid with the tip up rails is awesome.

I agree that the XTX seems to be my favorite Yamaha skid ever. And pushing 240lbs, it's perfect for me and I don't notice the stiffness the lighter guys are experiencing. I did have a chance to share my sled with my buddies in Michigan this past year and they all got off saying that thing is a Cadillac. And on groomers, who's does not ride smooth. When we ran 50 miles of 2ft bumps back to the hotel, that is when I was happy too. These things rock out at 60mph on those bumps. At that speed, they all smooth out to a point that you would think that skid would just blow up! Because you know it is working hard.

All the kool aid aside though, I cannot make the claim they are the best in the business though. Yamaha has never been known as #1 in suspension. I was pretty impressed with the r-motion skids in the Doos. And the Renegade R-motion may be the perfect skid. I have not ridden enough Poos to know, but the guys in our group with them run them hard. I don't know if the sled rides that well, or if they are just pushing them harder than they should and not admitting they are bashing the crap out of themselves (literally)

Back