• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 RS Vector

rick.french

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha RS Vector
Hi all - newbie here. I have an older RS Vector (2006) and it has a weird problem -- when I pick up the rear end it has about 6 to 8"'s of play before any weigh is felt - it is like I am picking up the seat section and then after the 6" - 8" I start to feel the weight of the rear end of the sled --- I am thinking that something is broken?? Any ideas?

Cheers Rick

kind of normal as they do not return all the way to the top of travel when set properly.

do you have any idea when the shock was last serviced?

Hi there - appreciate your reply -- no idea when the shock was last serviced. When I ride through bumps though - it sounds like something is banging. If I had to guess - the suspension is not recovering enough and something is bottoming out. My "sledding days|" were years ago and this is a used newer purchaser for me --- with the old sleds - when you grabbed ahold of the rear lifter and started to lift you immediately felt the weight. This one I could lift with a pinky for the first 6" to 8" then the weight is felt but during those 6" to 8" I am lifting the frame and seat -- not the track assembly.

yes that is normal.

i have heard that the mono shock skid transfer rod assembly does clunk at lower speeds. never owned one myself but i know under snowmobile tec and rear suspension, there are good set up guide lines on how to get it riding right.

i would start with a shock service and then get it set up for your weight as that should help with any bottoming you are getting.

6 to 8' doesn't sound normal though. I can lift mine maybe 1". It sounds like your spring is the problem...either a lighter duty spring was put in or your preload is not adjusted properly. Is your limiter strap broken? Could you post a picture of your sled on the ground? The banging sound is the transfer rod, they all make noise.

You should only have a single coil spring in the rear. I can't believe the spring is shot. Preload not correctly adjusted?

Torsen springs I meant to say. My sled with no weight on it is fully up. Soon as I sit on it, it settles in place. If it sinks 8" and it only has 12" of travel that only leaves 4" of movement. Your #*$&@ and back are going to be shot. My friends Arctic Cat F8 we had to change out the torsen springs. They loose strength with age. We are doing a Nytro XTX as well. Its not popping back up like it used to even with freshen up shocks.

might also have the wrong coil on the shock for your weight. they did make a big boy spring for larger riders.

Back