• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Phazer starter engagement delay

2stroken

Expert
Went to start the sleds for the year, hit the key and there is a delay before start engages. Sled fires up, I was thinking there was a known issue with the starter relays. Was there a solid state relay that was being used as a replacement?

One of mine was doing that this season. Ended up needing a new solenoid. The contacts in them get burned up over time from all the amps passing through them.Can you hear the solenoid "click" when you turn the key to start? If you don't here the click then it could be an ignition switch issue. I also had one of those start falling apart years ago causing a similar starting problem. JB Weld cured that one.

One of mine was doing that this season. Ended up needing a new solenoid. The contacts in them get burned up over time from all the amps passing through them.Can you hear the solenoid "click" when you turn the key to start? If you don't here the click then it could be an ignition switch issue. I also had one of those start falling apart years ago causing a similar starting problem. JB Weld cured that one.
Yes, it seems I turn the key, hear a click, then about a second later the starter engages. I suppose it could be a weak battery/connection that doesn't pull the relay in fast/hard enough. I haven't done in any troubleshooting figured I would put a meter to it, but was just doing some looking into things.

Yes, it seems I turn the key, hear a click, then about a second later the starter engages. I suppose it could be a weak battery/connection that doesn't pull the relay in fast/hard enough. I haven't done in any troubleshooting figured I would put a meter to it, but was just doing some looking into things.
right beside the battery is the starter solenoid relay, check for corrosion... eventually you'll find yourself turning the key a few times and it might go if this it was your problem is. common issue on Nytros due to location. I believe its the same relay on almost every yamaha for 20+ years.

right beside the battery is the starter solenoid relay, check for corrosion... eventually you'll find yourself turning the key a few times and it might go if this it was your problem is. common issue on Nytros due to location. I believe its the same relay on almost every yamaha for 20+ years.
buy oem if this is your problem also, not the cheap amazon ones. if its just corroded get some dielectric in there she'll be fine.

There is a red "solid state" upgrade relay for the fuel pump. The starter solenoid is only available as a mechanical relay due to the high current passing through it. I bought an OEM one for under $20 and super easy to swap.

There is a red "solid state" upgrade relay for the fuel pump. The starter solenoid is only available as a mechanical relay due to the high current passing through it. I bought an OEM one for under $20 and super easy to swap.
That was the solid state relay I was thinking of. Thanks!

Back