• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Nytro bogging and hestitating but very random. Need advice

Sounds like its the engine braking reduction system. Mine does the exact same thing your are describing. Like it hangs up, and a blip of the throttle shuts it off and your good to go.

Hi all,

I have a 2008 Nytro RTX with 8,500 km. It starts well and generally runs well, however, on every ride at some point the engine will bog and hesitate so the machine becomes very jerky, mostly at lower speeds (like the engine is cutting in and out). When it does this, it will often stall if I come to a complete stop and do not give it any throttle. It will start right back up however. At times I have have ridden for over an 1.5 hours and nothing and then other times it happens sooner. If i give it a bunch of rapid throttle bursts it often goes away or if I turn the machine off it sometimes resets it. It is strange because when doing it, I can give lots of throttle and it responds, so doesn't seem like the injectors. On a recent 3 hour ride it probably did this 3 or 4 times but most of the ride is fine., My first suspicion was the TORs, however, I am pretty sure this has been deleted and it is still doing it. Looking for some help as I feel like it may not be a cheap diagnostic at the dealer. It is rideable but super annoying and concerning. I have scanned many threads and other than TORs not seen anything similar, other than fuel filter suggestions or water in the fuel. I feel like there are so many electrical things it could be (like related to the CDI or fuel injectors). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Matt
Hi Matt
This may be late but a wise man once told me to find whats right first then elimination will reveal the wrong.
I do not know your fuel circumstance but from where I sit this sounds like a fuel problem which is common in carberated Yamahas and beyond particularly if ethanol fuels are used regularly.
Try adding Techron fuel system cleaner in your next tank and run it through, if it improves do it again and once in the last tank of the season
then every first and last tank of each season there after

best of luck
ivan

Hi Matt
This may be late but a wise man once told me to find whats right first then elimination will reveal the wrong.
I do not know your fuel circumstance but from where I sit this sounds like a fuel problem which is common in carberated Yamahas and beyond particularly if ethanol fuels are used regularly.
Try adding Techron fuel system cleaner in your next tank and run it through, if it improves do it again and once in the last tank of the season
then every first and last tank of each season there after

best of luck
ivan
Thanks Ivan! It is fuel injected and I only use premium. Do you still think thay could be causing this? It happens on every ride but sometimes takes a while before it happens. I.e can be riding fine for like an hour or sometimes less. Thay maybe

Bahr05 - would that be related to the Cdi. Not sure how you would fix an engine braking reduction issue?

Hi Matt
EFI presents less of an issue for sure, when you say premium does that mean NON ETHANOL premum?
Either way, a little Techron goes a long way to clean micro sized jetting in nozzles as well, either way its a cheap experiment,
just follow the instruction and run a tank full through then let us all know the results.

Best
Ivan

For sure. Does not hurt to try. And yes I mean no ethanol fuel.

For sure. Does not hurt to try. And yes I mean no ethanol fuel.
Hi Matt
I have to admit I am a little puzzled why the ECU has not thrown off fault codes to your speedo/tach head control unit

at least eliminate the clean fuel system question which has also something to do with the tank fuel pickups because a littler water could be a culprit as well when it goes to the bottom of the tank because gas has a higher density so it stays on top and a little can be an ongoing intermittent
problem
when sloshing around while on a robust trail ride it will become even more pronounced

best
Ivan

Update - I have put fuel cleaner in tank but trails are closed right now so apart from some idling won't be able to test fully. Checked TPS with the diagnostics and it is right on spec, 16 closed, 96 WOT. One other different issue I have is the temp sensor warning going off a lot and even when I have just started the sled so it is not even fully warmed up. It shows code 21 the high temp symbol and flashes the engine light as well. This appears to indicate sensor may be bad. The fan works and coolant is topped up so, sensor seems to be suspect. Does anyone know where this sensor is located? (2008 nytrp) It appears to be accessed by removing the gas tank, but not fully sure. Need to examine more under better light conditions but any advice or sketches would be appreciated as to where it is and how best to access. Thanks

Bahr05 - would that be related to the Cdi. Not sure how you would fix an engine braking reduction issue?
No clue either, I just live with it. Mine does it a lot when in the curves in wooded areas. Let off into the curve, hit the throttle a bit through the curve, then when I push it further out of the curve, the sled feels like it bogging. Quick blip and the tone of the engine changes and it runs like normal again.

My buddy had a hi temp warning on his Nytro was a rub through on main wire harness behind primary clutch. Not a typical rub through, there is a casting nub the harness settles on to . Look carefully under the harness. You will find pics here if you search. Could be your idle issue also.

The sensor is in the thermostat housing, which makes it useless if you have a total loss of coolant.

Back