• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Yamaha fx Nytro mcxpress 270 blows oil out of tank vent when I wheelie

Berrns04

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 Yamaha turbo nytro
I got a 2008 Nytro with the 270 turbo kit from mcxpress, and an unknown aftermarket oil tank. fun sled, lots of power, starts and runs beautifully, but when I stand the sled up, it will blow oil out of the oil tank vent, so much so that in half an hour I can empty the tank if I want too. now I have tried a fair bit of things and even just turning the hose all sorts of ways but the issue never changes, every time I wheelie it pushes oil out of the tank. I have also read some things about the aftermarket tanks being bad for such things and I have a stock tank that I will throw on as soon as I can to try it, but I am just wondering if anyone has had a similar issue and if there's any ideas what could be going on.

I should also add it only blows the oil out when it stands up, I can bomb down the trail and its completely fine. and while it could be blowby I would have a hard time seeing that as the issue as it starts and runs so well and has never had an issue with staring in the cold, but I also don't know too much that's just based off what I know.

I will be taking it to my local mechanic who built these sleds for a living at some point to do a leak-down test to see if it is in fact the blowby, but until then any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

During normal engine operation, there is always air exiting the breather. The higher the RPM, the greater the air flow, which is why the breather hose is so large (5/8" diameter).
Most likely what is happening, is when you wheelie, the tank is becoming more "horizontal" which allows oil to flow towards the breather port. From there the exiting air flow pushes the oil out of the breather vent. (if that makes sense)

A stock oil tank may help as I believe it has baffles inside. You may also be able to try and more tilted forward mounting angle for the oil tank. Of course you don't want to tilt it forward to much, as you could run the risk of having the opposite problem when going down steep down hill slopes or during heavy braking!

Back