• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Apex won't start - good battery

smurf

Extreme
Ran great all season. Left on optimate after last ride 2 months ago. Now it cranks great but just won't fire. It has no codes. I've seen someone post that their "throttle position sensor" was bad. How do I test that?

Any other thoughts of what it is or what I should do next?

Thanks for any help.

Smurf

smurf said:
Ran great all season. Left on optimate after last ride 2 months ago. Now it cranks great but just won't fire. It has no codes. I've seen someone post that their "throttle position sensor" was bad. How do I test that?

Any other thoughts of what it is or what I should do next?

Thanks for any help.

Smurf

When you turn the key, can you hear the fuel pump turn on??

Is there spark... did you pull the plugs?? No fire at all correct? might be the stator, how many miles on the sled?

Didn't go so far as pull the plugs yet. Unfortunately the sled is 4 hours from me right now. Just trying to research what to do when I'm there next.

Sled has 6000 miles. It ran great all season. I use the "optimate" charger. Funny that it doesn't start after sitting the 2 months. If stator was bad, wouldn't it have acted up before the season was over?

I would guess that the plugs will be my first option when I'm back at it in a couple weeks.

Thanks

smurf said:
Didn't go so far as pull the plugs yet. Unfortunately the sled is 4 hours from me right now. Just trying to research what to do when I'm there next.

Sled has 6000 miles. It ran great all season. I use the "optimate" charger. Funny that it doesn't start after sitting the 2 months. If stator was bad, wouldn't it have acted up before the season was over?

I would guess that the plugs will be my first option when I'm back at it in a couple weeks.

Thanks

Well its either a spark or fuel issue... with out actually seeing it and hearing it and not having any codes... its kind of a crap shoot.

My bet is the plugs. Bring new plugs and fresh gas with you. take out the old gas then fill with fresh gas then try again.

did you do any maintenance to her befor you put her to bed? recheck your work if you did. then pull plugs and look for spark a stator can just fail out of the blue almost everytime you hear the same story it ran fine then i shut it down and it wouldnt start again.

All great thoughts. I wish the sled was closer. Won't be there again for a month.

I will try:

Kill switch first. I'm seasoned and have done that before. I thought I checked it, but have to verify.

Second will be the plugs.

Next will investigate the stator. How does one check it?

Thanks to all,

Smurf

Re: start

yamadog1 said:
check your kill button it may be that.

If the kill switch is pushed down you would not be able to crank the engine which he said he was able to do. I would pull the plugs after cranking for a bit to see if they are wet. If wet then it may be a spark issue. If dry it may be a fuel issue.

I've had starting issues like this in the spring when the sleds (06 & 07 Attaks) been sitting for a few weeks in a cold damp garage or trailer. With the track off the ground, hold throttle open 1/2 to 3/4 and keep cranking till it fires. Worked for me every time. Never had a problem in the fall, or in the cold temps, just in the spring time with dampness.

THKSNOW said:
I've had starting issues like this in the spring when the sleds (06 & 07 Attaks) been sitting for a few weeks in a cold damp garage or trailer. With the track off the ground, hold throttle open 1/2 to 3/4 and keep cranking till it fires. Worked for me every time. Never had a problem in the fall, or in the cold temps, just in the spring time with dampness.

Yes easy to flood in warmer temps..Make sue battery cables are real tight to your new battery. Make sure the batttery is charged up.
I bought a 07 this past winter with 821 miles on it. It was cranking but wouldn't start. I put jumpers on the cables as the battery was wearing down and it cranked harder but wouldn't start. A friend noticed there was sparks coming from the jumper connection. We redid the connection so it had a better bite and it turned over so fast that it started right up.
My point is you may think the battery etc. is fine but these sleds won't start unless it has the proper voltage/amps.

What I have done is this, when I think it has flooded.
Remove belt.
Hold throttle wide open and crank engine.
Do not turn key to off position and then back on again, or you will dump more fuel in it.
Crank for 5-6 seconds max each time, and give it a minute or two in between cranks.
Once it starts, run it around 2K RPM to clear it out for a couple of minutes, and then gently back off the throttle and let it idle down to normal idle. Make sure you let it warm up enough so it cleans the plugs up good.
Shut it off, and put the belt back on.
A lot less fuss than trying to get at the plugs to change them.
That would be my last resort.
Let us know how you get it going, and what method you used.

Back