• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2009 Nytro dies when throttle is pressed

winder man

Country
USA
Snowmobile
many
2009 Nytro with 2500 mi. Came into shop with broken kill switch, code 26 for pressure switch and flashing gauges. Will not rev over 1200 rpm. T.O.R.S.is not engaged and can be disconnected and connected with no effect. The flashing gauges are the check engine lights and rpm mph keep changing. The codes are 12 which is crankshaft position sensor and the other numbers are not related to anything. Owner said it ran good but for check engine light. I find that hard to believe when it showed up dead. I want to have an idea what is wrong before changing everything. Crankshaft position sensor ohms within range and so does the throttle position sensor. Gas is fresh and when it dies it starts up right away. Fuel pump can be heard cycling. Pressure switch was changed and that is why it now has code for crankshaft position sensor. It seems to run on idle system and when it has to run on the main injectors it stumbles and dies. It has new battery and the charging voltage is 13.77volts. Owner said check engine light came on after oil change. Spark plugs are all new. So brain trust out there good luck with this one.

I thought I recalled some guys having sputter/cutting out issues at certain RPMs due to a weak stator. I know you checked the crank position sensor but wonder if the stator is going bad.

The stator and charging system are all normal. The strange codes are 5,22,19, 65 and of course codes for coils and oil pressure. Which come from stalling and starting again. It runs the same with the TPS sensor connected or disconnected. I'm going to change the crankshaft position sensor and will check fuel pressure. It seems to have no problem with spark and plugs are dry. Wiring is all solid and I am getting voltage to TPS sensor

I've never encountered a situation where the pickup coil would let it idle, but not rev up.
The wiring may be solid, but often the 'finger' connectors as I call them give problems relating to no connection.

The connection to the crankshaft position sensor is good and when disconnected it will not run. The flashing change of info in the gauges is strange.. I would think I would have a solid check engine light but not rpm, mph odometer trip then back to rpm. A good fire is in this things future.

All that flashing and cascade of sensor readings sounds like something electrical to me. You say the stator/regulator are good but charging voltage should be closer to 14.2-6v. Pull the sled up to a car, run jumper cables from car battery to sled battery, run car, start sled. That will eliminate the charging side for sure. Then all you have is reference which would be all the grounds. A faulty ground especially around the ECU will not allow the sled to get proper sensor readings. Just a few thoughts.

Check your speedo sensor. The driveshaft bearing might be gone. That is known to cause a lot of weird problems.

Thanks guys I have been ignoring this pile for now until I get the crank sensor. Know that speed sensors can screw with tors but cant get this thing to engage clutches to check the speed sensor. I will bring it back in and check the basics like fuel pressure , charge system, grounds, and anything else I can think of. Using a running car is a good idea.

Changed crank sensor with no change. Grounds and charging system are good as far as I can see at 14v. Fuel pressure is 49lbs. No difference with throttle position sensor or tors connected or disconnected. Tried even disconnecting aftermarket heated grips which are on high all the time. Speedo sensor is good. Ran at idle then sprayed carb cleaner into throttle body as I opened throttle and it revved up showing that it has spark at higher rpm but no fuel. When you turn on key fuel pump runs, gauges cycle then the check engine light and the amber warning lights start to flash withe gauges changing from rpm odometer tach trip and back. I am leaning toward a problem with the ecm. If it was mine I would change ecm then the throttle body. There are no codes that have any meaning position 61 shows 22 and position 62 shows 5. This thing has lost its mind. I'm giving it back to the owner before I lose my mind...

Back