• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex throttle not smooth off idle

theCATman

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
USA
Snowmobile
Yamaha
I've got two identical 2011 Apex's, both with nearly identical mileage (within 10 miles of each other ) and the one just isn't smooth off idle. Both bone stock other than soft start primary springs. It's not in the clutching.

When I apply easy throttle like moving outa the garage, load/unload off trailer, or away from a stop sign, it just isn't smooth and will leap forward with a gob of torque once get gets past its "dead spot" in the rpms. And I can even get it to basically stumble/miss/sound like a choppy radical cam if I hold it at just the right rpm. It's definitely fuel & air delivery related.

Anyone got any suggestions, like TPS, dirty injector, etc?? No code or check engine light ever. It's not TORS going off either.

It runs fine at idle and past that "dead" spot. No suffering in power or excessive fuel consumption.

Use self diagnostics to observe if the TPS is smooth in its climb.

Use self diagnostics to observe if the TPS is smooth in its climb.
I did do that, forgot to add that to my diary, lol.

It's seems to climb steady and smooth, although maybe a bit more rapidly compared to the other one? Especially between 16 and 40.

I'll compare again and try to duplicate each one as close as possible...

@74Nitro do you possibly know if the TPS can be cleaned with electrical spray, like a MAF sensor cleaner/spray??

I did do that, forgot to add that to my diary, lol.

It's seems to climb steady and smooth, although maybe a bit more rapidly compared to the other one? Especially between 16 and 40.

I'll compare again and try to duplicate each one as close as possible...

@74Nitro do you possibly know if the TPS can be cleaned with electrical spray, like a MAF sensor cleaner/spray??
I don't think so.
Are you positive that both of these sleds use the same clutch weight?

I don't think so.
Are you positive that both of these sleds use the same clutch weight?
Yes. I personally know the couple I bought them from, and neither sled was ever messed with. Only thing I've done is the soft start springs.

Again, it's gotta be fuel/air delivery the way i can get it to stutter/chop if I hold it at that certain throttle position and then with very little imput past that, it'll "jump" in rpms with a very much unwanted lurch forward or backward depending on F or R.

I would then change the TPS. I notice that the part number changes up. Thats sometimes a sign.
Last year, I had a Venture 4 stroke 500 that was difficult to hold at a certain low speed throttle position. It was in fact the TPS

Back