• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 used or leftover 2016

2zl

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
Mxz 800
What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is the 2016 worth the extra money. I am getting out of 2 strokes because I want something I can just turn key and go.

both our 2014's have been literally start and go!!! 0 issues here
I bought my 2014 used last year with 1200 miles and it has been flawless. If you find a 14 that's a good deal I'd go with that. The 2016 has a slightly different motor if I remember correctly. It's the same horsepower but I think it was revised. If you ever want to add a turbo I'd go with the 14 because some of the rods in the 16 can't handle boost. It was apparently a heat treating issue. They are 100% fine unless you add serious horsepower. With the money you save on a 14 you could add a clutch kit or other goodies. Good luck!

I would buy the 14 hands down..first of all they are the exact same sled minus the revised engine in the 16....Vilas is correct you cannot turbo the 16 motor because of a rod heat treatment issue and that issue will follow the 16 model year forever even on resale...Plus you will save thousands and thousands of dollars. If the 14 is in clean condition and you can get it cheap (under 8 ) that's what I'd do.

Any issues I should look for on a 14? Chaincase? Starter noise?

I would check to make sure the chain isn't too tight. For starting, I'd let the fuel pump cycle and then turn it and hold it til it's started. It should start very easily. If you buy it make sure you have a real solid battery because the ECU on this sled seems to misbehave when starting with a so-so battery. I'd ask if it had the reverse update done which was an early recall if I remember correctly.

I would go 16. Everything has been improved since the 14. Better (correct) shock valving, most starter issues taken care of (my 16 has been flawless), updated jackshaft bearing, oil pan, and the list goes on. Now did it have rod issues, yes. But if you got the money to turbo might as well put good rods in and take any doubt away. Not all rods were bad but you have to break engine down to see anyway.

I would go 16. Everything has been improved since the 14. Better (correct) shock valving, most starter issues taken care of (my 16 has been flawless), updated jackshaft bearing, oil pan, and the list goes on. Now did it have rod issues, yes. But if you got the money to turbo might as well put good rods in and take any doubt away. Not all rods were bad but you have to break engine down to see anyway.
I know it's beating a dead horse, and an easy fix but 16 skis are garbage, 14 had the single keel AC skis from the factory. If you plan on swapping them out then it's no biggie, but if you aren't into dropping another 5 bills on a brand new sled it might sway the decision.

How many miles on the 14 and how much are they asking??..Plus what are they asking for the 16 out the door??...I bet there is a $4k plus difference...unless you got to have new the 14 is probably hands down the better deal.

Only the 16.5 had the new motors! My early build 16 Ltx LE has the old motor and it's turboed.
Can you tell by the Vin or any other clue to tell if it's early build or 16.5?

Back