• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 Viper lost reverse

prosser9981

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2014 SR Viper
As the title states, lost reverse on my viper today.
Did chain case and oil change last week. Been on a few rides since and the reverse has worked just fine. Went to back into the garage today after my ride and reverse button does nothing when pressed.
Checked all wire connections, fuse, relays, and they all check out.
Any one have some direction of what to try?

if you remove the actuator does it actually work? Wire it directly to a battery to rule out the switch. Work from there.

test actuator as they are a known failure item. lots of info in this forumn on fixes/diagnostics.

The headlight does dim when the reverse button is pressed. Going to remove the actuator to see if something is stuck

Upon removal of the actuator, the small plastic circle on the bottom has broke and the metal shaft is pushing through. Is this shot?

Attachments

• 9D0C6049-4827-4472-9D4A-17D048CE3955.jpeg
    9D0C6049-4827-4472-9D4A-17D048CE3955.jpeg
    60.2 KB · Views: 86
I’m thinking this may have been initiated when i reinstalled after the oil change maybe by clocking it too far and forcing the bolts to lineup.

Upon removal of the actuator, the small plastic circle on the bottom has broke and the metal shaft is pushing through. Is this shot?
Mine did exactly the same thing. Pry the round cover off the back of it and check for moisture in there. Mine froze the the large gear and then it forces the worm shaft out the bottom because it can't rotate the large gear. Your only recourse is to replace the whole unit. Some people have done temporary fixes but that's all it is.

I didn’t. Which probably means there was added stress on the reverse motor that eventually broke through the case after a few shifts

Back