• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

journeyman said:
journeyman said:
Maybe their all new sled is green. I have some fairly reliable information that Yamaha is going to be supplying some kind of motor/motors to Arctic Cat very soon.

Actually I didn't make this part up. My info is pretty solid. I just don't know if it is one motor or more or of what caliber. One can only assume it would be of the four stroke variety. This person/s will not reveal anymore but if I told everyone what this person does for a living it would become apparent why he/she knows what very few do in this industry. That is all I can say.
My source verified there is an agreement between cat and yamaha but no details beyond that.It may just be an emission credits for cash deal only.All this could be out there to throw off any details on yamahas 2014 release(very hush,hush).Maybe they don,t want ski-doo to get any details due to recent rumours of a 2013.5 late release by BRP.

biffdotorg said:
yamaha1973 said:
You guys crack me up, nobody really knows whats going on. Pure speculation and hype, this is what happens when there is no snow.

No it happens every year snow or not. When there isn't snow, people just get pissy about it when someone just replies BNG!!

Instead of 2014 sled topics, we need more topics in the general forum like:

I got stuck 6 times in my yard today
How to add a snorkel to your Apex for 4ft of powder days
I burn twice as much fuel in deep snow
My kids never leave me any fuel in my sleds
How to be noticed in white out conditions
I can't get my trailer unstuck, so I have to ride around my town for the 6th straight day

Now that is funny! If only they were true as well...

New mountain sled to replace phazer mtx and nyto mtx for 2014. Yamaha has bought mpi and will offer turbo engines. So you will have new chassi and 144 track with updated phazer engine as cheap introduction sled and then a 153 and 162 with old nytro engine and then the same with turbo as top of the line..

As for arcticcat Yamaha makes engines an sell them so they have proabably sold rights to patents if anything as arctic says they will build their own engines..

Illiniyami said:
Why would they have the big yamaha get together in minneapolis "to show off the new stuff" if there wasnt anything for us flatlanders?

That is all my good friend said about it. He didn't mention a short track and if they don't offer one, I think that is a mistake. He also said he hopes the new sled comes in around $16,000-$17,000 so they can offer it stock with boost and light weight parts.

If any of what he said is true than I won't be in the market for that new Yamaha. But, three of my buddies in my small town bought Cat Pro-climb 1100 turbo's. Another buddy turbo'd his 800 Pro-climb. None of those sleds are inexpensive so maybe Yamaha thinks there is a niche at the top end of the market? Seems like Cat did pretty well at selling factory turbo'd 1100's. Maybe there are enough guys willing to spend tons of money for a sled with factory boost?

I'd rather that Yamaha come out with something light weight, good handling and reasonable in cost to compete with the new Indy 600 and the MXZ Sport 600. The stock Nytro motor would do very nicely in that category.

Buddy of mine who knows several in the know, asked if he will have to trade in his 2012 apex for the new sled. He was told yes. If the Skidoo brownshirts are going to have a mid season release, they must be real concerned. Cool hope their yellow underwear gets tight. :yam: :4STroke:

I asked my dealer the other day if I need to get him my deposit ready for a 2014...his reply was "yes, start saving your money, you're gonna want what's coming"...take it for what it's worth to ya.

soldi said:
Yamaha has bought mpi and will offer turbo engines.

where did you hear this?? i did a google search and nothing about mpi being purchased by yamaha turns up

Well it would be a real bummer if all they come out with is a sled that doesn't really work for anybody East of the Rockies.

16-17k are you kidding???? Where's the sled for 8k to compete with the Indy 600 or Cat or Do?
where's the sled with a nice comfy seat and some wind protection with less then 100 hp? the best selling sled the
Last few years was not a mountain sled or a 15k sled.

Where's the Festivus for the Restovus?

Please don't make me buy the wife a Doo ACE.

And....... No little 6-7 gallon tank better be 10+, unless it gets 35mpg or something.

RTX said:
soldi said:
Yamaha has bought mpi and will offer turbo engines.

where did you hear this?? i did a google search and nothing about mpi being purchased by yamaha turns up

No sources but a common business decision. Mpi has delivered near factory products for a few years. Yamaha would want to own the supply chain and the practical know how of supercharging.

Mpi delivers oillite bushings that are sold as yamahas and so forth and with this year's deal on superchargers its getting close to factory install and spending money on development is crazy when your partner already has. So from a buissnes standpoint its just what you do...

srvfan said:
Well it would be a real bummer if all they come out with is a sled that doesn't really work for anybody East of the Rockies.

16-17k are you kidding???? Where's the sled for 8k to compete with the Indy 600 or Cat or Do?
where's the sled with a nice comfy seat and some wind protection with less then 100 hp? the best selling sled the
Last few years was not a mountain sled or a 15k sled.

Where's the Festivus for the Restovus?

Please don't make me buy the wife a Doo ACE.

I agree with you, I don't think I'll ever be in the market to buy a sled that costs that much. So far I've never spent much over $9,000 for a brand new sled and I thought that was too much. I don't know if he's on base about the $16-17 thousand but I do believe him regarding the long track. Hopefully there is a short track to go along with it but Polaris didn't do that with the '11 Pro-RMK and the 800 Pro-RMK has been the best selling sled out of anyone's line up. It does appear that the top end, mountain sled segment of the market is where the sales are. I'm almost thinking this is very comparable to '93 & '94 when the XLT was the best selling sled. Everyone then came out with a triple and Yamaha was late to that game and missed the boat. Maybe this time they are getting into it much sooner?

My buddy's line of thinking is that Yamaha will have to charge a lot of money to enable them to build a competitive sled. To make it competitive, it will need boost and light weight parts. On top of that the exchange rate is not favorable. But, Yamaha has a well earned reputation for quality and reliability and the Cat 1100 is heavier than a boosted Yamaha. Funny, the more I reason this out the more it makes sense to me. Guys riding at above 8-10,000 feet are going to be interested in factory boost since a stock 800 is not as impressive power wise at those altitudes. If they are shooting for this market segment than stand a good chance of doing well.

Than again, why not offer a smaller, no frills sled like the 3/4 size Premier sleds that never seem to make production. Use a Grizzly motor and power train, parts bin the rest of the sled, sell it for $5,000 and make the money on quantity. Offer a longer track (again with existing parts bin pieces) and you've got a trapper sled and something more versatile for deep snow areas. Most importantly, offer it with simple, plain jane body work that has a traditional opening hood and wide tub. I love the opening hood on my IQR. Style it conservatively so it appeals to more people and I think it would sell. It sure as heck would sell better than the existing, overweight Phazer.

Back