• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 SR viper wiring - adding a USB voltmeter

Kascade

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper MTX 162 SE
2016 Cat M8000 162 Ltd
Hey all, new user and new owner of a 2015 SR viper MTX. I am adding a dual USB charger/voltmeter like in this picture, except I found one in a nice blue!

I didn't want to simply replace the DC "cigarette lighter" port with this, since I want to keep that to be able to use a 12v accessory at some point. So I put another hole in the dash and mounted this. Easiest solution is just pulling power from the DC port, but i'm concerned if I wanted to use the USB ports and the 12v DC port I might be overdrawing on that circuit. I'm not familiar with the wiring (though I do have the diagrams and am trying to become so) but does anybody know if there is a better hot wire in the hood wiring to pull from, perhaps even a spare circuit?

thanks!

Attachments

• usbcharger.jpg
    usbcharger.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 84

I don't think its even possible to overdraw the circuit with that. They draw 6 amps max. Use the lighter circuit. I run Rocztoyz Power Supply off it with two USB ports and two helmet plugs. never an issue for power.

Attachments

• power supply.jpg
    power supply.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 82
you are only over drawing if you pop the fuse. i use the above power supply for heated sheild, phone charging, rad light and running a gps at -40 without popping the fuse. need to get a charger working now for my battery chainsaw for my saddle bags but that is a future issue.

Thanks guys. I ended up just splicing it off the lighter after realizing I didn't want to go through much additional work just to charge a phone...it works great and looks great. Loving this machine so far!

Back