• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 vs 2016 spindles

Kascade

Extreme
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Viper MTX 162 SE
2016 Cat M8000 162 Ltd
I've read that the viper spindles were updated between 2015 and 2016 and that the newer spindle makes sidehilling easier. Can anybody explain the change and exactly how much upgrading mine could help? I find the sled very hard to sidehill or pull up on edge in anything but the softest of snow.

Its a different design on the spindle and they make narrower Aarm kits. I was interested in narrowing up and getting new spindles for my 15 xtx but I also need shorter shocks. I looked on county cat website but it says the part # for the kit has been discontinued

Requires rebuilding shocks to add a 0.504" spacer, which will shorten the extended length
2013-2015 style Float Evol shocks cannot be used with this kit, the Evol chamber will hit the upper a-arm
Includes 2 black upper a-arms, 2 black lower a-arms, 2 tie-rod tubes, 2 spindles, 2 shocks spacers, and re-assembly mounting hardware

I wonder about tie rods........

It would be a really nice change, but perhaps my pennies are best saved as I eventually plan on buying a new sled and making this a second/wife/loaner. I really like it but do realize it's not as ideal as the light and more nimble two stroke mountain sleds everybody rides around here, and I of course want to do what they do. :) I just love the four stroke for the (lack of) noise and smell though, as does my wife.

basic700, countrycat got back to my request and did provide me with a link to the kit which shows all the individual parts if you are interested.

I did the 2016 and up conversion on my 14 7000 and it does make noticeable improvement in counter steering a side hill. It mainly increases the Caster angle which improves the ease of counter steering. The parts required are the same as 2016 and up 2 stroke Cat mountain sleds, so sometimes you can find used parts for reasonable cost.

I did the 2016 and up conversion on my 14 7000 and it does make noticeable improvement in counter steering a side hill. It mainly increases the Caster angle which improves the ease of counter steering. The parts required are the same as 2016 and up 2 stroke Cat mountain sleds, so sometimes you can find used parts for reasonable cost.

I'm going on a sidehill tangent here now...since I've noticed you are from WA as well! I've been watching videos and getting out to practice how to sidehill. Needless to say we don't always have perfect powder in our parts. Are the techniques for counter-steering a side hill completely different on hard pack / muck / cascade concrete /etc than in powder? I am finding I have a hugely difficult time getting the sled to tip on edge in a hill in anything but the most powdery snow.

I was crossing a slope a week ago where the snow was quite packed down. I just could not get it to lean in to the hill on that type of snow at all, so I ended up actually pre-shoveling a bit more of a flat area at the start of the hill so I could basically get a bit of speed and just brute force and pray to get across it. TIRING...to say the least. That was on my throttle side uphill. On the brake side that's nearly impossible for me to do if I can't get a ski off the snow.

That's what got me looking in to the 16+ suspension update. In hindsight I realize it wasn't the best beginner mountain sled option, but I'm making do with the tools i have now. :D

Yeah, the snow has been hard and icy for the most part this winter for sure. Makes it hard to side hill in/on with just about any sled. Hopefully this round of snow that we have been getting this week will improve things.;)

It would be a really nice change, but perhaps my pennies are best saved as I eventually plan on buying a new sled and making this a second/wife/loaner. I really like it but do realize it's not as ideal as the light and more nimble two stroke mountain sleds everybody rides around here, and I of course want to do what they do. :) I just love the four stroke for the (lack of) noise and smell though, as does my wife.
Side hilling sucks. i have the xtx so wider than yours yet. Id need shocks and tierod ends also.
I freaking love the sled otherwise, and so do 800 2 smoke guys, after we get home thats all they talk about is how much damn power that yamaha is.
Not at this moment, but i would rather stick more money into what i got vs 17k on a new one

I scoured the internet for a month looking for a complete 36” kit for my project sled and couldn’t find any. There are some on eBay but they are super expensive.

- I bought a set of nice used tie rods off eBay
- I bought a set of nice used spindles off ebay
- I bought new lower a-arms from the dealer (hard to find these used)
- I made my own upper a-arms
- shortening my 17” shocks to 16.34” which I’ve read is what the 36” shocks need to be

Very few used 36” front end parts in good condition for sale

I scoured the internet for a month looking for a complete 36” kit for my project sled and couldn’t find any. There are some on eBay but they are super expensive.

- I bought a set of nice used tie rods off eBay
- I bought a set of nice used spindles off ebay
- I bought new lower a-arms from the dealer (hard to find these used)
- I made my own upper a-arms
- shortening my 17” shocks to 16.34” which I’ve read is what the 36” shocks need to be

Very few used 36” front end parts in good condition for sale

This was my same experience...spent a few hours scouring for used parts and came up empty. Priced out new parts individually and I could practically buy a second sled for that price.

My temporary "fix" has been ordering a left-hand throttle kit so, as hard as sidehilling is, I can at least make the off-throttle side a bit easier. A whole lot of muscle and stress and I can at least make the throttle side work.

Yeah, should be.

I have a guy offering me 4 a-arms, spindles and tie rods from an '18 36" cat for $500. Unfortunately he sold the shocks so I'd have to find those or have mine rebuilt. The spindles are green too so I'd have to get those painted or coated. Thoughts on that price?

Back