• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2016 Rod issues

Stubbs

TY 4 Stroke Master
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
‘16 Apex XTX with 137” Mono II
+ other gooodies
Looking for anyone and everyone who’s had or knows of someone with a 2016 Apex that had connecting rod issues. It would be nice to be able to zero in on the affected VIN # range if possible.
Can you tell I’ve picked up a ‘16 Apex? Lol
Thanks guys.

Are you thinking about the 2016 Vipers that had rod issues if you turbocharged them? I don’t recall any Apexs with rod issues.

Looking for anyone and everyone who’s had or knows of someone with a 2016 Apex that had connecting rod issues. It would be nice to be able to zero in on the affected VIN # range if possible.
Can you tell I’ve picked up a ‘16 Apex? Lol
Thanks guys.
I have no idea the VIN # range. There was one posted here a couple years ago. I don't know of very many 16 Apex's in general, but someone I ride with on occasion had rod failure and it wasn't pretty.
Yamaha never let on(do they ever?) that the Apex rods were also sourced out to Subara, but it's quite obvious to me that they must have been given that rod failure from 06-15 is almost unheard of. In addition, there were way more Apex sold in those years, than 16 and up.

Haven't heard of rod issues on the 16 Apex's, the Viper's yes.

Given the low number of ‘16 Apex’s built/sold there was 100% a rod issue with a certain number of them, it wasn’t just the Vipers that year.
My VIN ends with 101, just trying to figure out if it’s before, after, or in the middle of the troubled sleds. If it hadn’t been such a good deal I would have avoided the purchase altogether for the simple fact it is a ‘16, but even if I have to put a motor in it at some point it’s still going to be good value given the strength of the used sled market up here in Canuck land.

big guy's riding buddy had one that let go from what i heard. i might have heard of one other on here but i cannot be sure. 6000 km on my 16 so far, so don't jinx me! not anxious to learn how to put rx motor in apex yet as i do have a spare one of those.

big guy's riding buddy had one that let go from what i heard. i might have heard of one other on here but i cannot be sure. 6000 km on my 16 so far, so don't jinx me! not anxious to learn how to put rx motor in apex yet as i do have a spare one of those.
What’s the last three of your VIN Cam?

at work atm. have to get once i get home.

last 3 on my 16 are 406

I too have never heard of any rod issue on the 16 apex or any apex motor for that matter. Did yamaha issue a bulletin showing the affected vins? Without that, really no way to know which ones are potentially bad.

I too have never heard of any rod issue on the 16 apex or any apex motor for that matter. Did yamaha issue a bulletin showing the affected vins? Without that, really no way to know which ones are potentially bad.
Travis, with the small number of ‘16’s out there the problem was kept pretty quiet, but it was a thing that year with a specific number of sleds, just not all of them.

On another note, I’ll be calling you sometime soon to order some goodies again this year and pick your brain a little on my latest build. Chat soon.

My 16 Apex ends in 250 but I've never heard of Apex rod issues. I'm sure if there were issues the internet would have heard about it by now.

My 16 Apex ends in 250 but I've never heard of Apex rod issues. I'm sure if there were issues the internet would have heard about it by now.
As I already posted, there was someone who posted pics on this site of a 16 with rod failure. I know someone personally that this happened to, stock machine, 6000kms.

Back