• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2021 Sidewinder Hard Starting

Rossv123

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2018 Thundercat
I just bought a 2021 Sidewinder it has 750 miles on it and it seems like it starts really hard compared to my thundercat. When it is cold you have to crank it over a few times before you can get it to start. It is completely stock. Anyone know what it could be?

I just bought a 2021 Sidewinder it has 750 miles on it and it seems like it starts really hard compared to my thundercat. When it is cold you have to crank it over a few times before you can get it to start. It is completely stock. Anyone know what it could be?
You didn’t know?? They install the better Yamaha motors in the Arctic Cat Thundercats than the Yamaha Sidewinders. ;)

Have to tried turning the key on prior to turning it over to charge the fuel rail to rule out fuel delivery?
If you've ruled that out I'd try changing plugs out first.

No reason it shouldn't fire right up. I just took mine out of mothballs today and it fired right up instantly after charging the batter for a day on the tender.

And for what its worth, the Winder makes mow powwa than the T-cats because of the Yamaha decals. True story! Don't let anyone tell you different...

Have to tried turning the key on prior to turning it over to charge the fuel rail to rule out fuel delivery?
If you've ruled that out I'd try changing plugs out first.

No reason it shouldn't fire right up. I just took mine out of mothballs today and it fired right up instantly after charging the batter for a day on the tender.

And for what its worth, the Winder makes mow powwa than the T-cats because of the Yamaha decals. True story! Don't let anyone tell you different...
Yes I always make sure to turn the key before starting it up. You think the plugs would be bad after 750 miles?

if it has been started a lot and not run up to temp, the 4 strokes need to be run up to temp or they foul plugs. happened to me on my rx war.

Yes I always make sure to turn the key before starting it up. You think the plugs would be bad after 750 miles?

I've seen bad plugs after a guy unloads off the trailer and doesn't let it full warm up enough before shutting off foul, so yes it happens every so often.

Theres a reason its not starting well. Could be bad gas too I would imagine. Ever try SeaFoam? Its good at cleaning out a gummed up fuel system and treating the fuel. I put it in ever spring and run the sled prior to storing it.

I'll chime in too on replacing the plugs. I do it yearly even on the 4 strokes.

turn the key to the on position for a second before starting,takes a second to charge the fuel rail if it has not been started in awhile.It may be because yours was built at the cat factory too:o|

If installing new plugs, as also mentioned in previous post, you’ll have to lessen the stock plug electrode gap from .030” to .020”!

Have had mine changed out in years past by dealer troubleshooting Warranty cold start problems, so I never bothered to do plugs on my 17 Winder.

This season I did my own and the ones that came out of my 998 had the stock gap, and the new ones bought at parts store were also .030”. So this will be my first year trying the .020” gap on my tuned Winder.

Back