• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2022 Mach Z

Polaris may re-introduce the Indy Storm with a light weight "180hp" turbo 4 stroke in the Matrix chassis to answer the call, the new 650 is already in the 130hp category, it also could be a 100hp light weight 4 stroke, not sure if we will see a 850 turbo, we will see soon enough, Polaris has been very quite though.
If they did, resurecting the Storm would be cool.

If they did, resurecting the Storm would be cool.
It would be cool, its hard to say though, Polaris may just let it ride for another season where the just introduced the Matrix and the 650, they do have the engines for a respectable 4 stroke in a snowmobile for sure, but in the past they liked to introduce a hotrod type of engine and chassis to sweep the industry and have their sales explode, the XLT is a good example of that in the triple 2 stroke days, they were everywhere on the trails when introduced, I have heard good things about the Matrix chassis so far, not sure if Polaris had a 4 stroke in mind for to house in it though, we may only see a 4 stroke in their utility sled to start.

This could be great for Yamaha actually. Now that Ski Doos flagship sled is a 4 stroke (for the first time) I predict that 4 strokes will finally be seen as cool lol. Seriously - skidoo controls so much of the popular narrative with sledders (4 strokes suck, weight is everything, etc). This could be the beginning of a major shift in the sport. To me 4 strokes have so many advantages and if skidoo really embraces it that could change everything. And of course that plays into Yamahas strengths as well as the best engine manufacturer around.

As for Polaris they better have something up their sleeve. I’m told that their chassis is great but they are going to need a high performance 4 stroke to remain relevant. For those of you that get a new sled every year or two a two stroke is probably an OK gamble. But for the rest of us who keep the same sled for a fairly long time these modern lean running 2 strokes seem like playing Russian roulette as far as burn-downs are concerned.

I don’t usually jump on the bias bandwagon often but it does sometimes seem like skidoo could take a dump on a set of skis and some of the sled magazines would rave about how innovative it is lol! I think the anti-lag is very cool and everything but it’s such a tiny niche device that the average guy is going to use once or twice to show off and then never touch it again. It’s only going to be practical to real weekend racer types who are heavily setup, chiseled, etc. Of course we have friends like that here on TY but it’s a small niche. I can’t imagine hotdogging around with friends and finding an occasion to use it.
It's funny when I rode ski doo they were near the bottom and the mags trashed the suspensions, chassis, etc, and cat yamaha, poo were light years ahead....cats would regularly fall apart on the trail, but they were the greatest things ever. I have sled mags back to 1973, and it's hilarious to see the favoritism and BS over the years! But today, doo can doo no wrong! On the other hand, they deserve credit for their dedication to snowmobiling and making sleds people want.

Go back to a 3 cyl 2 stroke and all the rough idling and burn downs go away. 8-850cc twins are just not that reliable. They shake themselves apart.
Somewhat true, but a triple two stroke with single pipe just can't make the same power as a twin with single pipe.
Two strokes will slowly fade away in snowmobiles I think, or at least will be playing second fiddle(I guess they are already).

It's funny when I rode ski doo they were near the bottom and the mags trashed the suspensions, chassis, etc, and cat yamaha, poo were light years ahead....cats would regularly fall apart on the trail, but they were the greatest things ever. I have sled mags back to 1973, and it's hilarious to see the favoritism and BS over the years! But today, doo can doo no wrong! On the other hand, they deserve credit for their dedication to snowmobiling and making sleds people want.
Absolutely true. Yamaha's in the 80's were the lightest and by far the most innovative. Skidoo were heavy tanks and crappy for the most part. The tables have turned, at least for now.

I have heard good things about the Matrix chassis so far
I have ridden 4 different New Polaris 850's, 129 and 137. I dont like them. They have a ton of body roll, very darty. Maybe it can be dialed out but all 4 I rode acted the same. They feel unstable compared to my Winder, especially at higher speeds. I am not the only one who thinks so.
Plus the gauge sucks.

I have ridden 4 different New Polaris 850's, 129 and 137. I dont like them. They have a ton of body roll, very darty. Maybe it can be dialed out but all 4 I rode acted the same. They feel unstable compared to my Winder. I am not the only one who thinks so.
Plus the gauge sucks.

Stain, I couldn't agree with you more on the feel of the front end with body roll and darty. Couldn't believe the movement in my arms when on the Matrix compared to the just stable front-end of the Sidewinder. I was absolutely shocked by this when all the mags say the front-end on the poo is supposed to be the best in biz. I don't think so!

This is true, the Mags are saying best in the business front end, even the Lesters are saying this with their reviews, Matrix chassis is the best sled they have ever rode, thanks for sharing real world review.

I don’t usually jump on the bias bandwagon often but it does sometimes seem like skidoo could take a dump on a set of skis and some of the sled magazines would rave about how innovative it is lol! I think the anti-lag is very cool and everything but it’s such a tiny niche device that the average guy is going to use once or twice to show off and then never touch it again. It’s only going to be practical to real weekend racer types who are heavily setup, chiseled, etc. Of course we have friends like that here on TY but it’s a small niche. I can’t imagine hotdogging around with friends and finding an occasion to use it.
There's guys that'll buy an 850 turbo that barely makes a half pound of boost at elevation and they get all giddy and tell their friends did you hear that turbo?

Last edited:
I don't need or want a Mach Z but I did order a 22 900Tr X pkg. I think it will be pretty much up to par as far as power with a stock Winder. Tuned Winders I think will be way too much for it.
I really loved my 2017 Winder. I thought it rode and handled awesome but the Cat build quality is what sent me back on a Doo.
Between my wife and I this will be our 4th 900T. I have never taken off the chain case cover on any of my 900t's. Just drain the oil using the drain plug. Adjust the chain tension in 10 seconds and ride.
I have done absolutely nothing to my turbo Doo's. That's the attraction of buying the Doo. That's how Yamaha used to be before they went to bed with Cat.
I still wrench on my old Winder since I sold it to my nephew. I don't think I could ever buy anything again with Cat DNA in it and Polaris has no 4 strokes. So Ski Doo is my best option.
It's too bad there are so many flaws with the pro cross chassis because the Winder is such a sweet sled otherwise and I have nothing but great memories with mine.

I know this is a Yamaha forum but the title of this thread is about a 22 Ski Doo so I hope guys don't take any of my posts as a bash toward Yamaha.
One thing nobody mentions are the suspension changes on the Doo in 21. My wife has a 21 and honestly it rides and handles significantly better than my 19. I felt my 19 felt much lighter than my Winder and my wife's 21 makes my 19 feel like a tank. The steering is so much lighter yet it turns better and has a much smaller turning radius than my 19. Her 21 feels like it has power steering and I'm sure if the Winder comes with PS next season it will be a huge plus.
Yamaha needs to do some design changes on their sleds. They need new clutches. Every time I ride with my nephew I just can't get over how noisy the primary is. The whole drive train also needs a remake and I don't think Cat is going to do anything so Yamaha needs to step up and do it.
I wish Yamaha would just buy out Cat and come out with a Yamaha designed sled with Yamaha reliability.

Back