• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2519 miles on original belt finally blew.

SumpBuster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 sidewinder; 06 Apex RTX
Cruising at 60 on a nice seasonal road, then wot flying past 90 per and wham!!! Almost no belt dust, the remains look great, but it ripped in half. Cool!! I was just thinking to myself how long this will last as my daughter blew a belt on this same road years ago, on a doo legend.
Also, hit on a combo that made this sled handle and feel great. Very playful. Best it's ever felt. Followed many ski doos (are people just lemmings, or what??lol....most pulled over when they saw us behind them) and I don't know what the hype is about...I could out handle and ride just as well as the bazillion doos up on southern Tug Hill. Honestly, most pro cross cats ride a lot harder than the newest doos...just an observation of one day.

Where’d she blow, North rd?
Gubbins or Houlahan...before Sullivan, on Florences roads...just past the free hot dog guys..lol. Never sure of the names, I just know where to go. Unloaded in Barnveld, next to the lanes and went to Bucks in Williamstown for lunch. 180 mile round trip. Most was very good, but Taberg and Lee was getting thin.

Why did you wait so long???to change
3 reasons.
1) I seldom race top end, just go fast in big fields or nice roads. Usually go as fast as I can (within reason of ability) without killing equipment. Not like the doo brappers ripping the tops off every mogul, or 300 foot spin marks out of every corner. They are so easy to pass too..lol...just a show.
2) Belt looked great, very little dust, almost no width wear.
3) I'm a dumbass.

Have a 2020 LTX GT replaced belt at 2000 just because I ride with a bunch of 850's and they are always trying to pass me so seeing over 110 mph a lot. blowing a belt at that speed isn't good, been there done that on my 2017 LTX! Just traded it off yesterday with 3600 miles, second belt went with the sled. getting the new 2021 LTX GT, new skis! SumpBuster your not a dumbass just honest and frugal!

Have a 2020 LTX GT replaced belt at 2000 just because I ride with a bunch of 850's and they are always trying to pass me so seeing over 110 mph a lot. blowing a belt at that speed isn't good, been there done that on my 2017 LTX! Just traded it off yesterday with 3600 miles, second belt went with the sled. getting the new 2021 LTX GT, new skis! SumpBuster your not a dumbass just honest and frugal!
Thanks, but I think I'm still a dumbass...you know how you get the feeling? I just knew when I opened it up it with that many miles on, it would blow, especially since that was on my mind. It didn't owe me anything!

Hope that didnt shift your stub shaft out of spec :eek:
Doubt it. It was the cleanest blow ever, well, snap! Just a boom hitting the pan shield, then quiet. No fibers, no dents anywhere, glad I had the pan protector, and just a tiny smear of rubber on the primary that wiped off. Still had 60 miles to go, so took it easy..which was hard, then picked it up. Sled ran the same, in fact, started squealing a little at idle, so adjusted the height. Then let er rip in some big fields, and all seemed good. Didn't really give it a second thought after 30 miles or so.

:beer:Did you know that belts wear and there is a minimum spec,? Glad you didn’t pop a shim on valvetrain, 998 noted for it, just saying, but then again I wear my tires out until they blow!

:beer:Did you know that belts wear and there is a minimum spec,? Glad you didn’t pop a shim on valvetrain, 998 noted for it, just saying, but then again I wear my tires out until they blow!
Yes, I had adjusted it twice, but a tiny bit. Have the excell quick adjuster. Wear was excellent, apex like.
The new one sat just a touch too high, which is expected. Engine runs perfect, actually, has from day 1. Averaged 14.3 mpg on that ride.

Never looked at the internals of them, but had a cosworth vega with bucket tappets and shims. Same design? Had to check clearance every 15000 miles and put the proper shim thickness in. But that was a looong time ago.

Just finished a season of completely trouble free, way over 2000 miles, on my tuned Winder with an 8DN belt. I have been drag racing, ice fishing towing a sleigh ,off trail riding, and high speed trail riding.
Since my 2019 XTX has a 1.75" track, and we are down to running lakes with icy snow, I am now riding my Yamacharged Attak until we are done for the season.
I am starting to disassemble my Winder for off season maintenance...we will see how everything has held out.
I also float my secondary with internal shims for belt deflection.

Just finished a season of completely trouble free, way over 2000 miles, on my tuned Winder with an 8DN belt. I have been drag racing, ice fishing towing a sleigh ,off trail riding, and high speed trail riding.
Since my 2019 XTX has a 1.75" track, and we are down to running lakes with icy snow, I am now riding my Yamacharged Attak until we are done for the season.
I am starting to disassemble my Winder for off season maintenance...we will see how everything has held out.
I also float my secondary with internal shims for belt deflection.
Sounds great!
I thought about that as I had an 8JP zip tied securely under the cowl, and there were 3 spare 8DNs lots easier to get at in the apex and vectors with me!

Yep. Sounds like when belt blew it shucked out a valve retainer. This has been known to happen on this engine. This can often result in valve damage as the next time up, the piston hits that valve and bends the stem. I think your guess is probably right on - it's only running on 2 cylinders. Better do an inspection before running it any more.
Good luck!

Look back page 2 this guy blew a belt!

Back