• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

7/8 vrs 3/4 upper gear

THEPASMAN

Expert
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2017 Sidewinder LTX LE
I’m looking for some reinforcement of what I’m going to potentially do. Pulled my new to me sidewinder chain case apart to weld tensioner and discovered that my upper gear is not in good shape. I have a brand new 3/4 wide that I think I’m going to install. Till the dmc gear I ordered comes in. Am I asking for trouble as the chain is 7/8 or will I be ok for a couple hundred miles

Thanks IAV

Attachments

• CD3F5EB9-DBDA-4F0C-A8A7-C3B06BCD517C.jpeg
    CD3F5EB9-DBDA-4F0C-A8A7-C3B06BCD517C.jpeg
    76.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 835CF196-BA76-4CA8-8735-F7834CE7DC47.jpeg
    835CF196-BA76-4CA8-8735-F7834CE7DC47.jpeg
    60.3 KB · Views: 126

I’m looking for some reinforcement of what I’m going to potentially do. Pulled my new to me sidewinder chain case apart to weld tensioner and discovered that my upper gear is not in good shape. I have a brand new 3/4 wide that I think I’m going to install. Till the dmc gear I ordered comes in. Am I asking for trouble as the chain is 7/8 or will I be ok for a couple hundred miles

Thanks IAV
Wait for the right one.
You are asking for trouble..imo

Yes, you are asking for trouble. DO NOT put that narrow gear in the Winder.
That is for a old 2012 Cat I'd guess with link-belt silent chain. The stock gear is for Hyvo chain. Two very different styles of gear and chain that are not compatible.

Yes, you are asking for trouble. DO NOT put that narrow gear in the Winder.
That is for a old 2012 Cat I'd guess with link-belt silent chain. The stock gear is for Hyvo chain. Two very different styles of gear and chain that are not compatible.
I believe vipers run them

Thanks
my gut was telling me it was not a good idea. That’s why I asked.
I do believe that that gear is out of a viper.
I’m a bit puzzled why the previous owner put it the brass shift fork pads and didn’t do the gear. Anyways I’m glad I pulled it apart the tensioner wasn’t welded either but screws were tight. 1900km sled
Going to be permanent shortly

I believe vipers run them
Correct. Although I would not run that 13-wide gear, the Viper top gears are very similar to the Sidewinder gears (both hyvo) but the Viper uses a narrower gear for a 13-wide drive chain and the Sidewinder uses wider gear for a 15-wide chain.

Not saying to do it, but are not bottom gears 13wide with a 15 wide chain?

Never thought about it before, but maybe this contributes to the uneven upper gear bushing wear that i see with my sleds, uneven load on upper gear caused by narrower lower gear, i suspect they needed 15 wide chain to handle power of turbo motor, am i out in left field on this idea??

Although it looks the same I test fit the narrow gear into an old chain out of a sidewinder. It is definitely a little different cut. I glad I asked. The bottom gear in my ltx and MTX are both 13 wide 15 wide chain.
I’m glad I asked.

Never thought about it before, but maybe this contributes to the uneven upper gear bushing wear that i see with my sleds, uneven load on upper gear caused by narrower lower gear, i suspect they needed 15 wide chain to handle power of turbo motor, am i out in left field on this idea??
No, the issue is the stock bushings rock day one. Some stock ones are better than others but have not seen a single one to date that fit tight.

Correct. Although I would not run that 13-wide gear, the Viper top gears are very similar to the Sidewinder gears (both hyvo) but the Viper uses a narrower gear for a 13-wide drive chain and the Sidewinder uses wider gear for a 15-wide chain.

The narrow gear in the OP's first post is not a HYVO gear cut. It is a silent chain cut. You can see it in the tooth profile it is different than the HYVO winder sprocket.

Back