• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

DMC top gear wear (good things)

On second thought I may be mistaken that I got it from Cat. I've had it in for over a year now, I can't remember for sure where I got it.

So for the 24 tooth people what is the max gear bottom we can run? I thought I had the 25 top tooth but looks like it's the 24.
Longest hyvo chain I'm aware of is 92 pitch. With 24 top, biggest lower would be 50. This is what stock TCats mostly come with 24/50 (92 pitch chain).

I run Scott Taylor forged gears.
26/45 with a 90 link chain.
Both gears are 15 wide so no chain walk but gear alignment is important.
3 seasons now...no bushing wear or any other issues.

works for me:)

They are not forged but cut from billet stock, same thing can be said for the stock Borg-Warner hyvo gears, they too are cut from billet stock but because of their much larger production qualities, they are far cheaper per gear.

Has anyone ever heard of a plastic bushing being used?
I have a 2017 in here that I'm servicing and there is a plastic/nylon top gear bushing.

Yes, my buddy had to have his serviced in Quebec last year on our trip. This dealer installs them all the time they claimed and last over 30k kilometers according to the mechanic. He said that all new winders leave their shop before being ridden with the plastic top gear bushing. My buddy put about 2k miles on his and was perfect when he serviced the chaincase in the fall.

Last edited:
Yes, my buddy had to have his serviced in Quebec last year on our trip. This dealer installs them all the time they claimed and last over 30k according to the mechanic.
Maybe this machine was there too.

Here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240102_203305_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20240102_203305_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 48
  • Screenshot_20240102_203259_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20240102_203259_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot_20240102_203251_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20240102_203251_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 49
It is crazy how many different “fixes” we have seen for this over the years. Plastic, McMaster Carr, DMC, Prevost, needle bearings, yet Cat refused to update the bushing.

I can’t imagine owning a 998T and not being a member of this site. You would be in for some bad days eventually.

Back