• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

87 Octane on '11-up

rwill2cruz

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
08 GT LTX Anniversary
I know the 11 and newer apex calls for 91 octane but is there anyone using 87 and what effect does it have?

It'll be a dog, lol. Mine gets better mileage, better power, and less heat on premium. You'll see a drop in mileage as well. NOW, if all you have available is 87,it'll run on it. But you'll be able to tell pretty much right away the power and throttle response is different.

In my area 87 contains 10 percent ethanol, 91 contains no ethanol. 87 runs fine but if I ever had a fuel issue the effect would likely be that I would hang myself. Maybe too drastic ... or not.

Didn't noticed a difference the few times we have put 87 in.

I had to run 1/2 tank of 87 seemed ok but didn't push it. Now carry Octane booster just incase no premium at pumps.

I've had to add 87 to a partial tank of premium fuel in a pinch, however hadn't noticed a significant difference in performance while trail riding. I believe there is a knock sensor built into these sleds to retard the timing for this condition, so I don't believe using the 87 is detrimental to the motor.

that is correct and yes it is noticable when you run 87 but it will not harm it.

dave is right. I have run a 1/2-1/2 mix with no problems. in my bike I can feel the increased heat right away when I run 87.

Back