• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

8DN belt and sheave grooves at 800 miles

unchained

Expert
I already have grooves in the lower sheaves from that titanium 8DN belt and Mr. Tom Hartman not only recommended the Ultimax 3 belt that is softer, but said to INSIST that Yamaha replace my sheaves with only 800 miles and 4 nice grooves cut in already. Any thoughts about this?

BTW, Tom Hartman Inc. is a class act and I would highly recommend him and his services to all TY folks....

Toms clutching was awesome when I used it with my stock apex, however when I switched to my SC and got his setup I could not keep the ultimax belts on my sled at all.

Yeah but a bone stock 130 hp sled with 800 miles prob shouldnt already have nice deep grooves in the sheaves and I would assume the softer Ultimax 3 he recommends would hold up better on stockers than 200+ hp modded sleds....

I also have grooves in my sheaves and blew a belt at only 800 kms. I'll be watching for the outcome, I'd like something down with my sheaves as well.

Grooved sheves is a no no no matter how you slice it. Did you guys happen to tow someone in or anything like that?

TurboJamie said:
Grooved sheves is a no no no matter how you slice it. Did you guys happen to tow someone in or anything like that?
No towing, never got stuck, never tried to take off with the brake on, nothing. Just 800 miles of trail riding.

weird, did you check alignment etc... I would take it into your dealer and show them the situation.

which 8dn did you run? the old number or the new one specifically for the nytro? if you ran the older number you might already have your groove reasoning, and i doubt anyone will warantee IF you didnt install the proper belt number. if you ran the proper belt number, worse they can tell you is no so, take it to the dealer and have it logged. ski

I have grooves in mine @ 1530 kms with stock original belt. Belt is a few C hair's above secondary.

skidooboy said:
which 8dn did you run? the old number or the new one specifically for the nytro? if you ran the older number you might already have your groove reasoning, and i doubt anyone will warantee IF you didnt install the proper belt number. if you ran the proper belt number, worse they can tell you is no so, take it to the dealer and have it logged. ski
Its got the original belt that came on it.

akdavo said:
Could you post a photo of the damage so I know what to look for
Yes I will get pics up soon, but everyone with a few hundred miles should just pop of their side panels and reach in there because I noticed mine and after talking to Mr. Hartman, he said Yamaha went to this super hard belt for a reason and in most cases ALL Yami sleds primary sheaves that run this particular 8DN will get grooves. Like he said if their there at 800 miles, imagine 5-6,000 miles. He also said the Ultimax 3 that is softer will pull the R's down a tad but he runs his Nytro 8,600 anyhow ????

Pics coming soon.....

They do that & it is normal with the 8dn belt. I have very deep groves at 500 miles but that is after a lot of 1000' test runs. Been happening since 8dn belt came out on 98 srx,s.

Back