• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

998 Winder Weight Reduction

I'm not sure the weight savings is worth it. I rode a 141 for years and the ride is horrendous. I tried all spring combos on coilover shocks, did Fox floats (revalved, added reservoirs etc), also did the Hygear linkage kit etc. I think I would sooner a sled weigh 100 lbs more and have a nicer ride. I guess it depends on what your goals are. I usually carry gas etc so weight savings arent a priority to me.
When I say horrendous ride, I mean on any trail with bumps, smooth trails was fine of course!

But I do agree its by far the lightest skid out there. You can make it lighter/stronger by going to Ice age rails too.

I'm not sure the weight savings is worth it. I rode a 141 for years and the ride is horrendous. I tried all spring combos on coilover shocks, did Fox floats (revalved, added reservoirs etc), also did the Hygear linkage kit etc. I think I would sooner a sled weigh 100 lbs more and have a nicer ride. I guess it depends on what your goals are. I usually carry gas etc so weight savings arent a priority to me.
When I say horrendous ride, I mean on any trail with bumps, smooth trails was fine of course!

But I do agree its by far the lightest skid out there. You can make it lighter/stronger by going to Ice age rails too.
Thanks for the info. I'm more of a speed runner and when the trails are rough I go home.

Can the XTX rear arm and Float shock be retrofitted into the "standard" SideWinder rear suspension? Or, must one acquire an entire XTX rear skid if wanting to try for the above-mentioned reason of weight reduction?

Can the XTX rear arm and Float shock be retrofitted into the "standard" SideWinder rear suspension? Or, must one acquire an entire XTX rear skid if wanting to try for the above-mentioned reason of weight reduction?
You need the whole skid.

You are right. I owned one in 2018. It bottoms far too easily(and I'm light) and the skis are always in the air.
However, it is lighter.

You are right. I owned one in 2018. It bottoms far too easily(and I'm light) and the skis are always in the air.
However, it is lighter.
I had a 141 on my 16 Viper with Fox 3 Evol shocks on all 4 and I thought it rode incredible.

My 2019 X-TX LE 141 has the full QS3 shock package and it rides pretty good to the point I don't fall behind anyone in our group on the drifted open lakes even when riding with the highly overhyped Doo R motion guys.

Back