• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

A new to me Lite

asmerch204

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2008 VL slowly turning into a MP
Hey guys, i'm new to the fourm and to yammy sleds. I love the fourm already as it has helped me to pick out a used '08 Lite. I wanted a MP but couldn't find one in my area, so i'm going to slowly convert this one. First off is wide skis, probably gen 2s. Then a float plate which is what I was wondering about. How is the stock one on the MPs? I'm waiting to hear back from Skinz on whether or not their Phazer model will fit. If not i'll go with MP version but because I'll probably need to buy the front bumper as well it'll end up being around $300! Do they help out that much? Will it be worth it with the 10" skis? Any opinons would be appreciated. Thanks

I have the big floatplate on my Apex.made a big difference,but my 8" gen3s made a bigger difference.I would go with the skis and tha small plate for protection.

The float plate on the MP is really not that good in my opinion, compared to the Phazer's. There's really just the front part on the bumper that just goes under between the A-arms and that's it. Then it's just the under engine plate. The Phazer's goes from the front all the way over the stock plate. Even goes over the stabilizer bar whereas the MP's doesn't.

I think the skis will be the main improvement and the float plate is a last resort but you would get a better bang for the buck with a real float plate as you wouldn't have to buy the bumper. This plate from Yamaha is listed for the VL
http://yamaha-motor.ca/pna/detail.php?s ... all&page=1

Ya I thought the MP plate didn't look as functional, that is why I thought I'd ask. I think I'll go with the skis for now and see how much it helps. Thanks a lot for the input.

I've got the gen III and I think with the 10" gen 2 you might not even need a float plate. One thing I have noticed is while on the gas even if it's just bearly moving the skis stay on top of the snow, but because of the engine braking, once off the gas the front end gets pushed down and skis sinks even with a 8" ski.

So I decided to make my money go a little further and I went with the 9" ski skins. I also ordered the ultra plate. Parts should be in this week, hopefully testing her out by Friday. Thanks again, i'll let you know how they work.

Hey asmerch204, would you please post some pics of the Ultra Plate when installed, I have been wondering what they look like on a VL/MP. Was thinking of one for my 2013 MP

Sorry daboog, I didn't install it until about a month ago and by then I forgot to post photos. It fit good no issues and offers a lot more protection than the thin piece of plastic it covers. I don't think it will offer much float but with the 9" ski skins I don't really need much in that department anymore.

Attachments

• image (3).jpeg
    image (3).jpeg
    444.7 KB · Views: 117
  • photo (8).JPG
    photo (8).JPG
    427.7 KB · Views: 120
  • photo (9).JPG
    photo (9).JPG
    427.7 KB · Views: 111
  • photo (10).JPG
    photo (10).JPG
    423.8 KB · Views: 112
  • photo (11).JPG
    photo (11).JPG
    382.9 KB · Views: 118
Nice. Is that the one from Yamaha? How much did you get it for?

Too bad there isn't another manufacturer or if we could get it directly from them but either way, looks like it was worth it.

Back