• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

About that new Viper Exhaust. . .

See the blog for some answers.

As I recall ;

[ It will not be more HP than the Nytro but may have a different power curve and characteristics ]

[ It does have an o-2 sensor and different programming/ ECU ]

[ They are hoping for 20 lbs less]

If it uses the same ECU type that Cat uses on the Turbo sleds, it could be a great thing since it is a writable ECU, could easily recalibrate and flash the ecu for more power when combined with other go-fast parts. I am sure D&D will be working on parts in the near future since they deal with both Cat and Yamaha.

I don't think the lengths that we are discussing have much effect on noise, especially for a motorcycle (higher frequencies).

Noise is energy, it needs to be absorbed some how, hence the gigantic muffler on the sled. Odd that the muffler looks to be a lot bigger than that used for the FX Nytro.

I would like to get a professional opinion with this exhaust instead of just speculating, can we get Ulmer in here to give his opinion on how this will affect the motor.

I would like to get a professional opinion with this exhaust instead of just speculating, can we get Ulmer in here to give his opinion on how this will affect the motor.

I am not a professional but I have spent alot of time on the dyno testing exhausts on the Cannondales which also have a rear exit exhaust.Extra length does not produce power.We found a stepped pipe of the shortest length possible produced the most power period.Problem with that is the heat.The heat is the reason for the longer pipe.Without it the silencer would not last or cook the sled.If you look at the biggest power producing YZF's that is also what you will find.Short straight pipes.Yes length does make broader power but who cares if you are looking for the MOST power and we snowmobilers can easily clutch to keep our machines in the power peak.Heat is the reason.

So, by having the exhaust still cool in the tunnel and covering it with aluminum then dumping it out the side allows yamaha to have a shorter pipe (to increase power) and keep the cooling affects of the tunnel. Sounds like this may actually increase power.

It will be close to same or LESS because of the curves it makes.HEAT was the major factor in the design of the Viper exhaust.More power will be made with aftermarket designs either under tunnel or straight to the can but there will be major issues to overcome with heat.Think of the curve with open tunnel like a radiator for motor.It needs it to survive.

Back