• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

After Market Track Upgrade

Joseph Zaloker

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2016 Yamaha SR Viper LTX
2016 Viper LTX. Looking to upgrade to a aftermarket track. The new technology looks amazing. Aggressive trail riding is the type of riding I do. No mountain or deep power sledding. Interested to hear what others have tried. Thx

Agree with mr. sled, the ice storm is an awesome track. This track hooks up hard on hard pack and still really well in loose snow. My only issue is it hard to get the back to slide sideways even with the 1 1/4 outer lugs, but the trade off is worth it

Thanks for the input. I went with the Ice Storm 150. Hopefully I will get the track soon and get it installed so I can ride and try. Quick question what runners/carbides do you guys ride? I have 6.0” Stud Boy shaper bars on the inside of the skis and Stud Boy 4.0” round bars on the outside of the skis. Thx

I have curve skis with 6” slim jims and they push a little bit steering is light. Had bergstrom triples before this and they were heavy steering but turned very well. I ride fairly aggressive

I have curve skis with 6” slim jims and they push a little bit steering is light. Had bergstrom triples before this and they were heavy steering but turned very well. I ride fairly aggressive
Thx, all for the input. I pulled the trigger on the Ice Storm 150 track and will let you all know the results once I get the track on. Regarding the rear end sliding on the stock Yamaha track, I liked it when I could control it, kind of like when we were kids on a bicycle skidding and turning then off the brakes, but the Yamaha and the weight and size of the machine was a bit unpredictable at times. I look back fondly on my 2002 Polaris Classic 600 and the M10 suspension and 435lb sled and how easy to was to throw the back end around and feel in total control. Ahhhhhh the good ole days.

Personally I love the performance of the pre-stud tracks. One issue I had was putting them on any machine with a turbo, because pre-stud tracks are only available in single ply they do not hold up. I have had great luck so far with two-ply tracks, after market studs on turbo sleds. All non-turbo sleds I have the single-ply pre-studs with no issues.

Back