• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Air box mod

stingray719

TY 4 Stroke God
First let me say I recommend you buy the kit from one of TY vendors, but if you are like me and like to do your own mods read on!

TEST,

New 2014 Viper with 4 miles on it
MBRP can
Bills clutch mods

Now I cut 3 holes in the airbox placed where I hope it will use the air box shape to allow the air velocity to pull an additional small amount of air in. As I am at 6k altitude here and ride at 10k to 12k altitude vehicles here usually do not require a fuel controller, if you do this mod be VERY aware you may run lean without one.

THE TEST - was amazing! Of course this is on asphalt with wheels on skis but the results were very impressive. Now I also did the radiator delete at the same time so with a radiator hot air may go in the drilled holes but I am not sure it would make a noticable difference.

I drilled three 1 1/2 holes as in the pic. I drilled 3 holes in the bottom air pick up (be very careful you dont punch through the frogskin) right behind the existing rectangle air inlet. Inside the airbox is a divider to keep throttle bodies from sucking crankcase ventilation in, I bent that over on the end away from the throttle body to minimise air turbulence. I bought air filter screen to cover holes, not yet on in the picture.

DISCLAIMER - Untested modification, may void warranty or cause damage. :sled1:

airbox.jpg

Drove a viper this season with this type of mod. It made 4-5hp on dyno and up again my stock viper with clutching it was 2 sled lengths faster in 1000'. Both were identical ltx se sleds both studded the same and both had same clutch kit, only difference was airbox. We switched riders and same results. Good cheap gains to be had in the airbox area

Drove a viper this season with this type of mod. It made 4-5hp on dyno and up again my stock viper with clutching it was 2 sled lengths faster in 1000'. Both were identical ltx se sleds both studded the same and both had same clutch kit, only difference was airbox. We switched riders and same results. Good cheap gains to be had in the airbox area

As with most Yamah air boxes though you have to vent in the right places or risk causing air box turbulence and actually making it worse. Just wanted to add that so somebody does not make a mistake. On the plus side though if you do drill it wrong just patch the hole!

Well, I have the M8 sold so before it goes tomorrow I decided to test my Viper air box/clutch mod. We lined the 2014 M8 all stock against the 2014 Viper with MBRP can and my clutch and air box mod on asphalt with dolly wheels on skis. Viper stomped the M8 for the short distance across the car lot, wished I had more room to test. NOW, I realize asphalt is not the same as snow but I cannot tell you how happy it made me for one of our Vipers to finally beat the 160hp M8. You can doubt my test results but please don't start with the liar thing like when NOS PRO posted his results.

M8 783 miles on speedo
Viper 5 miles on speedo

Well, I have the M8 sold so before it goes tomorrow I decided to test my Viper air box/clutch mod. We lined the 2014 M8 all stock against the 2014 Viper with MBRP can and my clutch and air box mod on asphalt with dolly wheels on skis. Viper stomped the M8 for the short distance across the car lot, wished I had more room to test. NOW, I realize asphalt is not the same as snow but I cannot tell you how happy it made me for one of our Vipers to finally beat the 160hp M8. You can doubt my test results but please don't start with the liar thing like when NOS PRO posted his results.

M8 783 miles on speedo
Viper 5 miles on speedo

There should be no reason to doubt your results. I recently did the Ulmer intake kit,Ulmer can,PCV and clutch kit, I also changed my gears for more top end. I am confident that with a mod viper we can compete and beat some stock 800 sleds. I am ready to take down my buddies 2012 XF 800. Here is the crazy thing my father inlaw has a 2014 vector, in 1/4mile the 800 cat was ahead, the vector went by my viper and after a 1/2 mile I had a good view of this stock vector go by the stock XF800. I am sure people will say that I am a liar, but I know what I saw, and I certainly wasn't happy to be the 3rd place sled!

I am confident that with a mod viper we can compete and beat some stock 800 sleds!

I ride with all 800 sleds and in a drag race there has only been one to consistently beat me and that is a 14 renegade etec with clutching and more than likely other go fast stuff. Other than that my totally stock viper with clutching spanks other 800s. One buddy with a 12' xrs 800 etec and another with a 13 switchback 800 pro r. One guy upgraded from a nytro and the other from a doo 600 because they wanted a faster sled than my viper..let's just say both guys are always disappointed whenever we line up to race. The thing to keep in mind with a procross 800 tho is that they are top dog in the 800 class and they have the same awesome performing chassis we got. F/xf 800s are some fast machines! And if you witnessed a vector go past one then I'm sorry to say but there was something majorly wrong with the cat!

I will be trying this soon.

Stingray - Wish we lived closer.

All I can say is this.....There are modded Ski-doos (819cc with carbon fiber and Pro-line suspension), Cats (Thundercat and a Hooper engine cat with some mods) at the track running 10's and I will have the Viper in the 10's soon enough. And yes, the Viper is all stock except the exhaust can, with electric start and reverse.

Like Mr Sled said Friday night at the track...."That Viper is movin!!!!!" "For the low HPR and low torque numbers, you are flyin!!!!"

I used to care when I would hear negativity about my posts (not believing them or criticizing), but the proof is on the timeslips :) I'm having the time of my life testing and getting great results! All these great guys here who help and back up what I'm doing....hat's off to you guys

Terry I would hope those who doubted now know
1) we who know and have ridden with you got your back
2) you put your stuff to legitimate tests.
I hope you continue to say it like it is!

Keep tuning that Viper!!

Very nice info and testing guys!! Sounds great!! Terry and Bill and anyone else that that helps out or test stuff, who cares if people don't believe you. You have nothing to prove to anyone! If it works and you post it, Thank you very much!! If people don't want to believe you it's there loss!! We have great knowledge and want to pass it to others, to be helpful! If people want to knock it or have negative feedback, oh well! There not trying it otherwise they would be saying good things. Some people just want to be negative! No worries, you guys are awesome and I want to come watch you run the Viper!! So you have to call me the next time you run it. I will come out. And no matter what people say there are tons of people that take our advice and try our recommendations!! Major improvements are there, just have to try different things!! Awesome info!!

Last edited:
Very nice info and testing guys!! Sounds great!! Terry and Bill, who cares if people don't believe you. You have nothing to prove to anyone! If it works and you post it, Thank you very much!! If people don't want to believe you it's there loss!! We have great knowledge and want to pass it to others, to be helpful! If people want to knock it or have negative feedback, oh well! There not trying it otherwise they would be saying good things. Some people just want to be negative! No worries, you guys are awesome and I want to come watch you run the Viper!! So you have to call me the next time you run it. I will come out. And no matter what people say there are tons of people that take our advice and try our recommendations!! Major improvements are there, just have to try different things!! Awesome info!!

Thanks!

;)!

Terry I would hope those who doubted now know
1) we who know and have ridden with you got your back
2) you put your stuff to legitimate tests.
I hope you continue to say it like it is!

Keep tuning that Viper!!

Thanks Mark :)

Definitely gonna make this Viper rock!

Very nice info and testing guys!! Sounds great!! Terry and Bill and anyone else that that helps out or test stuff, who cares if people don't believe you. You have nothing to prove to anyone! If it works and you post it, Thank you very much!! If people don't want to believe you it's there loss!! We have great knowledge and want to pass it to others, to be helpful! If people want to knock it or have negative feedback, oh well! There not trying it otherwise they would be saying good things. Some people just want to be negative! No worries, you guys are awesome and I want to come watch you run the Viper!! So you have to call me the next time you run it. I will come out. And no matter what people say there are tons of people that take our advice and try our recommendations!! Major improvements are there, just have to try different things!! Awesome info!!

Awesome, thanks bud! :)

Back