• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Allen Ulmer is a genious!!!!

Yamadog

Lifetime Member
Just got back from my first real ride on the new and improved Viper!

After Allen totally dismantled it and put it back together fixing all the issues. Added 4th injector and clutched it the thing is a beast. I also changed to Hygear Axis shocks on the front and rear skid along with the coupling kit. I added 144 studs to the 1.6" track to enhance the 150 screw in paddle studs.

Simply put I went to the UP with a brand new Polaris Pro S 800 SB and the Viper. It was -15 F Sunday night and Monday morning the viper battery was dead. It took most of the day to track one down and get it filled and charged. So I rode the Polaris 118 miles first. It is ok but does not have the wow factor my 13 pro R 800 sb does. It rides too flat and has no ski lift in the corners. It is also wider in the seat and the gas tank now under the seat rubs my calves.

By 3 pm I had the viper up and running. I left the shack and hit the trail the first launch was amazing. at 9#'s the sled now rocks back loads the track lifting the skis about 12" and takes off like a funny car. I have trouble staying on the seat. The front holds 12" off the ground out to 100 and no longer rises to the sky at 40 mph and up. The new shock setup eats the moguls way better than the Polaris and does not get upset if the ruts are not parallel to the trail tracking in a straight line. Several times I was 3' or more in the air and when it landed did not hurt my wrists or knees.

I made several runs on a fresh groomed trail on an open lake and with GPS was hitting 100 mph on gps in under 7 seconds at only 9#'s of boost I can go to 12 on the switch but ran out of daylight and was having too much trouble staying on the seat.

I had occasion to run down several groups of Cat xf1100 and doo 800 and passed them like they were being driven by my grandma! The throttle response is awesome and the clutching hits hard and pulls like a freight train at a steady 8700 rpms. The clutching is set up for 12#'s but works just fine at 9#'s.

The only disappointment was stopping for dinner and then coming out in the dark to find out that I had no headlight. It was dark as coal and I had almost 20 miles to ride back. I went about 18 miles at 5 or 10 miles an hour then heard a click and the headlight came on.:o|

WHATS THE 4TH INJECTOR A SUPERCHARGER OR A TURBO?

I wonder if those new solid state relays from Yamaha will plug into the Cat harness. I suspect that is the click you heard. Glad you finally are having fun!

i bet if you did not have the shocks from hygear the sled wouldnt be the same i was running axis in my nytro xtx for 3 years after i got viper ltx se it seemed like i took 10 years back in suspension. now i have them in but still trying to work bugs out hopefully soon

i bet if you did not have the shocks from hygear the sled wouldnt be the same i was running axis in my nytro xtx for 3 years after i got viper ltx se it seemed like i took 10 years back in suspension. now i have them in but still trying to work bugs out hopefully soon

I am heading back up to the UP in the morning to get some real miles on them. I cannot wait to see how they perform on a long day of riding.

I got 40 miles on my Hygear shocks yesterday. Just enough snow to ride but enough to appreciate the Hygear advantage! I am waiting for the shocks to breakin prior to changing anything.

How many miles should it take to break them in?

Mine felt great from mile 1 they are just a hydraulic rod and spring system should not really be a break in period.

Well my experience with shock absorbers is that everyone of them has a break in period that reduces stiction. Air shocks have a longer breakin than hydraulic.

The STRYKERS we built for the U.S. Army had a Hydro-Pneumatic suspension and it took about 50 miles, about 20 of those hard miles to break in the suspension (reduce stiction) to insure that the suspension height and leveling system was operating smoothly and to the required specification. My LTX SE was over 200 miles to get the Fox Float 3 working smoothly the rear really never did feel right, and our LTX deluxe was about 125 miles before the front were operating without stiction and another 35 miles for the rear suspension.

The STRYKER vehicle testing was over 4,000 vehicles, and obviously a much larger sample size than my Viper experience. Please note that the STRYKERs continued to loosen up for the next couple hundred miles. At that point the vehicles rode like a Cadillac even at full Combat weight, just like our Viper deluxe. This is why I asked the question. Sounds like I'll should call Hygear tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I wonder if Hygear or Fox do any sort of shock Dyno testing to their products before delivery or do they just slap them together and send them out the door?

I wonder if Hygear or Fox do any sort of shock Dyno testing to their products before delivery or do they just slap them together and send them out the door?

Every pair of shocks built by Hygear to your specifications are dynoed and those results are put into their files under your name in case you want modifications to that calibration in the future. Maintenance to their shocks is $30 and future recalibrations are free with shock maintenance.

Every pair of shocks built by Hygear to your specifications are dynoed and those results are put into their files under your name in case you want modifications to that calibration in the future. Maintenance to their shocks is $30 and future recalibrations are free with shock maintenance.
Doesn't the time on the Dyno break them in at all?

Doesn't the time on the Dyno break them in at all?

Not really, that would take an hour or more of Dyno run time. It provides a performance profile after a short run like the production testing on the STRYKERs, not the full breakin like a production vehicle after customer use and conditions. But it is repeatable and the full break in can be extrapolated from those numbers with some additional test data on a limited sample.

Back