• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Aluminum or Galvanized Steel trailer

Cubby

TY 4 Stroke Guru
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 Ski Doo 900 ACE Renegade Adrenaline
2007 Yamaha Phazer GT
I'm looking at getting a double snowmobile trailer. I am just looking around right now. There is a price differential between galvanized and aluminum trailers.

Obviously aluminum would be better (doesn't rust, lighter) in the long run but does anyone own/used a galvanized snowmobile trailer? Steel is cheaper, easier to fix (weld), maybe stronger. How does the galvanization hold up?

It would only be used 4 - 5 times a winter.

My galvanized trailer ended up having lots of rust underneath the trailer. The frame rusted and ruined all the electrical wiring with it. Rewired the trailer and sold it. Bought a new Triton double trailer and couldn't be happier. Light, no rust, and not as expensive as I thought. Lots of salt on the highways here in Canada. I would spend the extra money and buy a good aluminum trailer, and pass it on to your kids. They will last a very long time.

I would spend the extra money and buy a good aluminum trailer!

If you get a really good deal on a galvanized, nothing wrong with that. I had one that lasted me 15+ years and it was an early 90's model (one with the rods through the skis). Just sold it. Just bought a 4 place galvanized. Sure it had some rust but it was a good deal. It has a spot that was repaired right in the middle and was welded. Sure it's heavy but the few times I pull it, triple the price for an aluminum would not have been worth it.

Depends on the manufacturer & how it was galvanized.

I have a 1994 16" flatbed "Scott" sled trailer. [ Local manufacturer.] It was hot dipped galvanized as a complete trailer after all welded together. I did a complete rebuild after 20 years of use last year. [New axles, Springs, Brakes, Electrical & Deck.] The trailer galvanized frame is like new except in a few spots under the rotting deck where it needed some paint & I covered with grease before re-Decking it.

I had a 10' Northtrail galvanized enclosed trailer as did a friend & they did not hold up near so well. Much lighter build, thinner galvanizing & I would say probably not hot dipped after the build was completed.

Sooo, in conclusion, not a thing wrong with Galvanized if it was done right by the manufacturer & the trailer is properly built IMHO.

As an aside, my other 2 sled trailers [ everyone needs 3 right] are Thule aluminum enclosed models. My 2003 7 X 14 has needed nothing but brakes once, Batteries twice & a few bulbs in 12 years of use. The 2007 12' Clamshell has needed nothing but a couple of bulbs in 8 years.

I live in New Brunswick, Canada and salt is a mainstay here on the roads in the winter.

Went with a Triton XT10-101. Found a good price on a new one.

Last edited:
20140125_085304.jpg
I have an aluminum Sno Pro 2003 and the neck just behind the coupler broke in two. I was lucky I was only going a few miles an hour. The electric brake harness kept it from going off the road into whatever. They have changed the design since. They use a A coupler. I had to double up on the neck during the repair.
Point being..I've seen many Aluminum snowmachine trailers without the A coupler being made still...Crossovers,etc. Beware you fellow owners. If it doesn't have an A frame coupler design get it beefed up or don't buy it. Also these crossovers just don't have the support under the trailer for our heavy Apex's,etc My Sno Pro does have very beefy frames under the trailer or I would of gotten rid of it after the tongue break.
Steel would not of snapped like that. Aluminum will stress and crack. So be careful of which model,etc you choose.

I had a custom made sofa in there. I built for a customer. So there was no weight on the trailer actually. But That would of been worse. I have insurance on the machines. Not for the sofa that took me a long time to build with the customers expensive fabric. But I did have my Apex and Vector on a few days before so yes I'm lucky. Not to mention it could of killed somebody if it went across the lane into oncoming traffic.

Not a fan of Aluminum. The welds tent to corrode and get "punky" over time, I personally believe a "dipped after welded" galvanized is the way to go. That said My home build 4 place is now 6 years old with just a little bit of rust showing up, Mines Just mild steel with 2 coats of POR-15 on it.

Back