• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another one going from Apex to Viper?

IAVECTORGT

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Arctic Cat ZR 8000 El Tigre
Hey all! I'm at a crossroads with a decision to make on purchasing the '16 Viper LTX LE with the turbo. I have a '12 Apex standard 128 that I'm thinking real hard about selling and wondering if this Viper is for me. All I do is trail ride. Absolutely zero off trail. Only ride in northern Wisconsin and/or the U.P. I've ridden a '15 LTX without the turbo and liked the way it rode. Just felt short on power compared to the Apex of course. I have not ridden a Viper with the turbo. I LOVE the apex but feel it's time to do something different. I'm afraid I'll miss the power steering and the power and smoothness of the apex. It's got 4000 trouble free miles on it. Just trying to get some feedback from those that own a turbo Viper that trail ride. One last question I have, will I need to do any clutch work after the turbo install?? Or what will I need to do different to it?? Thanks for any and all feedback. Just need some help making my decision. Keep the Apex or go for the Viper?

I loved my Apex for 12000 miles but would not go back and I am on a non turbo Viper. The ride and handling is AWESOME.

I came from an Apex. The only thing I miss is the power steering. Definitely have to reclutch for the turbo. There are some good set ups here depending on what you want to do---strait line , trail, mountain etc.

Talking to dealer 3 days ago in Canada you have to do clutching rite from dealer if you get the turbo. It's right in the sheets I saw. It might even be on website. It's $300 over here.

If you do zero off trail or big bump stuff I don't see what you would be gaining going to the turbo viper. Your going to give up the smooth motor, fuel mileage, and top speed. For something that goes better off trail, handles huge bumps, yet gives up the some strictly trail traits. You will not have the fuel mileage of the apex, it will pull harder but never be anywhere near as fast, you will have a better rough trail ride. Also the turbo is not 100% install and ride, to get the most out of it you need to make some fine tuning adjustments to the gems fuel controller to get respectable mileage and you will need to do clutching work. I've seen quite a few people who think they are just going to out this turbo on and everything is going to be perfect. If your not the type to spend the time understanding what's what and tinkering a little bit I wouldn't recommend it. I ran into a guy last week getting 60 miles to a tank on his turbo viper, he had no gauges, no clutching, and no clue on why any of that was necessary but he was adjusting his gems controller blind. I'd like to see how long his set up lasts. And his dealer told him he doesn't need anything that the mpi turbo kit is factory approved and doesn't need any additional parts. Which may be true but to get the gains and reliability you need to verify everything is correct when installed, there's not many dealers that care enough about this short season especially here in New England they are clueless.

We have apex.s, nytros, vectors, and vipers. Strictly trail touring I've yet to see anything that tops the apex. That's exactly why it's still in production.

came from an apex, i have a turbo viper now. pull to 100 is awesome. bashing the bumps, ditches, rough trail, and smooth trail handling is awesome. the rear shocks are too stiff. I'm sending mine out this summer. in my opinion to make this sled into a "trail" sled better than the apex it takes a lot of time and money. then think about the problems that some are having. the apex is a proven motor and chassis. not a new model but a polished gem. i agree with mattyg1405, if you are all about trails look into a 2016 apex it will be a lot cheaper in the long run. i do love my viper for how i ride, i installed the hurricane kit myself and do my own clutching. so i have a feel for the sled. apex is fuel and throttle.

Back