• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Another reverse actuator question

SumpBuster

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
18 sidewinder; 06 Apex RTX
So, just figured I'd check chain tension and how to put oil in the chaincase, since I had it serviced at 500 and time for me to do the stuff. The actuator was under pressure, once the bolts were out. I marked everything. The manual says after making sure the insert is engaged correctly, ROTATE 20 DEGREES CLOCKWISE, and in the picture, it (the notch in the insert)is just past the detent, sitting on the radius. The actuator went on exactly one tooth different, and the bolts lined up...no needing to twist it to line them up.
I put it back the way I found it, it works fine, but does it really matter? Who is right?
Thanks.

So, just figured I'd check chain tension and how to put oil in the chaincase, since I had it serviced at 500 and time for me to do the stuff. The actuator was under pressure, once the bolts were out. I marked everything. The manual says after making sure the insert is engaged correctly, ROTATE 20 DEGREES CLOCKWISE, and in the picture, it (the notch in the insert)is just past the detent, sitting on the radius. The actuator went on exactly one tooth different, and the bolts lined up...no needing to twist it to line them up.
I put it back the way I found it, it works fine, but does it really matter? Who is right?
Thanks.

99% of them are under slight pressure. I put in the reverse actuator gear rotate all the way counter clock wise untill it wont rotate, then pull it out and install with detent to the bottom or 6 o'clock and when you install the spring and puck it will drop right in. Install acutator and it will need slight pressure counter clockwise to get the screws to line up.

As far as whos right, it only matter if its not all the way to one direction to get the detent to hold it so it dont walk out of gear at speed.

99% of them are under slight pressure. I put in the reverse actuator gear rotate all the way counter clock wise untill it wont rotate, then pull it out and install with detent to the bottom or 6 o'clock and when you install the spring and puck it will drop right in. Install acutator and it will need slight pressure counter clockwise to get the screws to line up.

As far as whos right, it only matter if its not all the way to one direction to get the detent to hold it so it dont walk out of gear at speed.
Thanks...that sounds like the book. I believe mine is a tooth off..it takes quite a bit of pressure to line up the screws...but that's where Excell set it so I'm leaving it.

In fact, thinking about that, it seems mine would have a little extra pressure holding the actuator gear toward's the forward direction, or ccw...interesting. I like my old Apex chain case reverse design better..lol

In fact, thinking about that, it seems mine would have a little extra pressure holding the actuator gear toward's the forward direction, or ccw...interesting. I like my old Apex chain case reverse design better..lol

I agree, this thing is a pain in the #*$&@.

Thanks...that sounds like the book. I believe mine is a tooth off..it takes quite a bit of pressure to line up the screws...but that's where Excell set it so I'm leaving it.
The Yamaha rep said there is a tripple step procedure when setting these up now because several sleds disengaged on the trail last year leaving them no gear just neutral maybe someone knows more about this

The Yamaha rep said there is a tripple step procedure when setting these up now because several sleds disengaged on the trail last year leaving them no gear just neutral maybe someone knows more about this
Since this is how to add oil to the chain case ...if there is a better procedure, it would be nice for the consumer to know.

The important part is that the detent is in locked position when fully in forward gear. The actuator "Finds" that position no matter how you put it in within reason. That is why it is so important to do the final step of going in and out of forward gear 3 times before moving the sled and then looking to verify the detent is in locked position.

Good info guys....I always just remember, after lining up detent, that the motor needs pressure CC, which makes sense as twisting it CC will ensure the fork is to the left or forward gear.

Taking chaincase apart, and seeing/understanding how it all works(forward/reverse) helps alot when putting it back together.

;)

Good info guys....I always just remember, after lining up detent, that the motor needs pressure CC, which makes sense as twisting it CC will ensure the fork is to the left or forward gear.

Taking chaincase apart, and seeing/understanding how it all works(forward/reverse) helps alot when putting it back together.

;)
True! I was going to wait until after warranty, but there are so many torx screws screaming to be removed!
Nice videos RD....especially the one with the bearing in the brake casting...I like that placement farther away from the snow and water.

Please refrain from swearing since this is a family Forum.
PITA will get the same results.
I'm not sure who can reprimand you but remember "He's checking his list to see who's naughty & nice".
People Ingesting Tasty Animals?
In any case, I think he's safe...the term in question is extremely common, and heard often by snowmobiling family members, especially during sled 'routine maintenance'. Many times it is followed by wrench throwing, some muttered words, and a 'what did you say?' by the wife who came out to see what all the clatter was about. It wasn't Santa....

Last edited:

Back