• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Any benefit to running premium?

There's no real performance benefit, but around here we have 10% ethanol in the two lower grades. I often fill-up with premium when I still have some regular in the tank. I like to think it helps to dilute the ethanol content a bit. It seems to work out that about every second or third gas stop I'm putting some premium in the tank. I can’t prove it, but it seems to run a little crisper when the ethanol is cut.

arteeex said:
There's no real performance benefit, but around here we have 10% ethanol in the two lower grades. I often fill-up with premium when I still have some regular in the tank. I like to think it helps to dilute the ethanol content a bit. It seems to work out that about every second or third gas stop I'm putting some premium in the tank. I can’t prove it, but it seems to run a little crisper when the ethanol is cut.

The HIGHER the octane the more ADDITIVES or junk you have in the gas! I have a freind that works for a gas company and told me this, they take a 87 octane and add all kinds of junk to raise the octane... :exc:

havent noticed any difference my friends polaris has a key position that you can turn it to when you are running premium gas always thought that was pretty cool

apltx08 said:
arteeex said:

The HIGHER the octane the more ADDITIVES or junk you have in the gas! I have a freind that works for a gas company and told me this, they take a 87 octane and add all kinds of junk to raise the octane... :exc:

The additives are not junk. They improve combustion and provide cleaner burn with less deposit to improve the longevity of the motor. I to work in this industry. Yes they are additives but it is the equivelent of swimming in a public pool with no chlorine vs. one with chlorine.

87 octane has lots of additives too!

Higher octane fuel will reduce pre-ignition during the compression stroke. This is why polaris put the retard switch on on few models.( pun intended and no time to explain, I just thought it was funny) The higher compression engines are more likely to pre- ignite the fuel. advancing and retarding timing can also play into this. once again the retard switch ( I love that one) Point is no you don't need 91 or 93 octane, but I run it in all my small engines. I have proved that it does keep them cleaner and last longer with less maintenance. The additives also help its shelf life last longer. Two weeks, then it's just water.

ROFL! Like the refs to the retard switch!! My '02 800 Edge X had that on the ignition! Running 91 octane with switch set to premium or running 87 octane with switch set to regular made a little difference but definitely nothing huge! Now on the '09's they have wires under the hood that you have to plug in or unplug depending on what type of fuel you're running! That is definitely a pitiful setup if you ask me. One rep from Roseau told us at a sled show that they used the wires and left them without labels so that they could basically sneak through or around some EPA regulations!

Back