• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

any one try this?

yzviper366

Lifetime Member
I have Simmons gen II skies and have noticed it takes quite a bit to side hill and hold it in a steady side hill.

Wondering if anyone has tried cutting the outer edge off the skies?

I would think it would help a lot by narrowing the outer ski stance while also keeping a good 8" foot print on the snow but on the inside of the sled?

Any thoughts. I'm just spit ball in here.

I had the GenII's on there when I bought the sled....I found the handling (sidehilling, deep snow manoevering) HORRIBLE and put a set of stockers back on. Love it now.

I agree. I dont have any issues with deep snow handling. It floats great and always stays on top of the snow. Its the sidehilling that is the issue. It feels like I have to really hang off her to keep it on a steep side hill and its 10x worse if the snows set up.

If my thinking is right cutting the outer edge off should allow the sled to lay over a lot better. While still keeping the floatation

if you dont want to cut your skis.... the older ski doo summit ski were like that. maybe you can pick some up cheap? I think it was around 2004 or 2005 they were like that.

Yes I know I remember seeing them like that. I would really like to not cut my skies. But I also dont want to let 400 dollar skies lay around in the shop so I wanna make these work.

yzviper366 said:
Yes I know I remember seeing them like that. I would really like to not cut my skies. But I also dont want to let 400 dollar skies lay around in the shop so I wanna make these work.

how about selling them to someone that wants to run them unmodified, cut your losses and buy something that will actually work well for what you want to do instead of trying to make it work?

Modified ski

There was 2 sets in the classified section just like you are wanting to do maybe ask bamboo how they worked. I am running a modified stock ski that resembles the old offset skidoo ski and it works pretty good at keeping the pig afloat. I added 2" black puck board to the inside and they are holding up well 2 years later

I have also thought about that but for what I've seen them sell for idk if I could give them up I paid $475 for them and I would need atleast 375 for them before I could get rid of them.

Here's another question. What characteristics do these skis have that cause the side hill issues? Is it simply they are to wide? Or is it because they float to much? Any thoughts??

Re: Modified ski

zx4ever said:
There was 2 sets in the classified section just like you are wanting to do maybe ask bamboo how they worked. I am running a modified stock ski that resembles the old offset skidoo ski and it works pretty good at keeping the pig afloat. I added 2" black puck board to the inside and they are holding up well 2 years later
Could you maybe post a pic of the ski you are running?

ski mod

here are some pics of my ski mod they ahave held up way better than i thought they would and the price was right
i have put on around 2000 km on since they were modified

Attachments

• ski 2.jpg
    ski 2.jpg
    393.7 KB · Views: 84
  • ski 3.jpg
    ski 3.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 79
I'm running the "Carl's cut" Simmons Gen II skis on my Apex. I've also ridden an Apex with normal Simmons Gen II skis and the cut makes a world of difference. Do it and don't look back.

Back