• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anybody with 5.7 Pilots!!!!!!!

I believe the reason they push in powder is because the powder builds up under the ski and doesnt allow wear rod to dig in.Maybe less pressure on rear of ski would allow the snow to go out better but probably not.

Carbides have no effect in powder. The ski does all the steering in powder. I appreciate your input but the problem is the stopper!! It allows the front of the ski to flex up and the rear of the ski to flow in the powder,but you cant steer with the rear of the ski.

You are exactly right. I have 6.9s on my apex and it won't steer at all in deep powder. You can see the ski pointing up in the powder. Trimming the the rubber to get the ski more level should help for sure. I plan on doing it, just haven't done it yet. I rarely ride powder but would like to steer when I do.

How do you like those 6.9s for the trail, I almost went with them instead of the 5.7s. There wasn't enough reviews of them. They look nice though.

aceltx09 said:
How do you like those 6.9s for the trail, I almost went with them instead of the 5.7s. There wasn't enough reviews of them. They look nice though.

i have been running the 6.9 on strictly trails for the past 1.5 seasons.
to be honest i have given up on these skis. i think they are crap.
This is, in my opinion, the most unpredictable ski i have ever owned.
For me they only work on a hard well groomed trail. any loose snow and you are pushing bad and out of control.
Not to mention I think they are weak for trail riding. both of them are now bent after a season and a half. Total junk in my opinoin.
My simmons have 6000 miles on them with no issues. these pilots have 2500 and are trashed.

6.9s work good for me also. I have mine set so only the last third of carbide touches. No darting and easy steering. Yes they don't steer well in powder but they float well and keeps the front end up so you can lean the sled over to turn. Over all I like them alot better than stock

NY_Nytro said:
Hmm 6.9s work great for me on the trails regardless of the conditions. I have 2500 to 3000 miles on them. I just need to shim them so they work better in deep powder.

6.9 and 5.7 skis are pretty much the same thing except for the width. maybe you could help out the other people in this post and post your setup. alot of people are looking for a solution to make this ski work as perfectly as your set up does. maybe you can help out your fellow TY members? by the way i am on an apex. do you have a set up for that sled as well?

I could never get the pilots to steer in powder. They were a disaster going across a hillside in powder. Finally realized they only work ok on groomed trails. I now ride with Simmons Gen 3 and think they are far better than the pilots both on and off trail.

rode in fresh snow this week end (pilots 5.7 07 apex rtx)
I felt like an idiot on side hills and couldn't steer worth a dam in the deep stuff.I just started steering with weight transfer.

the trails were loose and was pushing bad,but I did figured out a trick this week end,when going into turns I
was hitting the brake but not letting off on the gas all the way, (1/4 to half throttle)it was throwing
the front end down and would stop pushing.
I went from fighting with the corners to railing around them.

HA HA HA, I started laughing out loud reading your first sentence, thats exactly how I felt my first ride in powder with them. I have about 600 miles on them after this past weekend and I'm really happy with them now. I am still going to trim the boot in the off season and get the ski to sit level when there is no pressure on them. Then I will shim the back of the boot and throw a set of the bergstrom TP in the middle and I think I will have the perfect ski. Yeah that works well using the break to swing the back end around.

Back