• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone else own too much crap that maint is stressful LOL

kinger

VIP Member
Website
www.piergenius.com
'Kinger's garage' has grown exponentially but not the revenue in... but $$ OUT. I added some atvs to the mix this year for lack of snow and a park here in Iowa where my 4 seat rzr is just too large. Anyway the maintenance is becoming a full time job for me! Here is my list:

4 seat rzr turbo - Needs all maint items
Polaris sportsman 700 efi - needs everything
Polaris Scrambler 500 carb - needs everything and carb rebuild
MM150cc buggy - tires always flat finally got tubes in them and a better carb so it runs for now
Bad Boy 54" mower - Just did complete service on it
BOB - Apex needs all driveline bearings
Flame - Oil leaking needs "bulletproof" service with BOP parts and I am adding power steering
Killa bee - 600 sdi ski doo needs nothing
2021 enclosed 23' sno pro trailer - needs nothing yet...
1993 mazda rx7 V8 520hp swap - needs glove box repair, paint repair, tires
2001 Jeep wrangler - needs oil change
2016 ford explorer - needs a new sun roof motor and clear sunroof drains, fix moldy smelling vents
2022 Ford raptor - needs nothing for now

If you add my 3 properties maint, I am constantly fixing crap and it feels like 2 steps ahead and 1 back.

First world problems I know, but hey, we all love the ride right! :-o

I love the humble brag, I feel the pain. But it's a good problem to have if you love collecting "cylinders"

Biggest help for me was moving to as much EFI as possible, and fourstroke where possible. And the uber tiny engines get replaced with electric. Trimmers, chainsaw, Ice auger is next.

All maintenance is scheduled, if not all in the fall is my motto. Bike, mower, generator, sleds (if not done in the spring) waverunners boat, etc. I think this is the reason there are oil debates online. As most of us just use whatever kit is recommended for the product. But those with multiple gas engines like to standardize to allow for bulk buy of oils, filters etc.

It's a humble brag, but that's what guys do when counting cylinders in the fleet.

Yep, I sold a bunch of vintage sleds and projects I wasn't getting to because it was just overwhelming every time I walked into my shop. I then bought my mint 2013 Apex SE last September with the money. And kept my favorite vintage sleds. Still have a 1978 Goldwing project and a 1979 KZ1300 project. And a couple crazy vintage sled builds I want to get to. I Also spend "way too much" money on my C10. LOL.

I definitely feel your pain. Living on the lake just adds to the workload with docks, numerous power boats, and a couple sailboats too.
I have also converted to battery powered electric trimmers, small electric lawn mover for around gardens, our light duty chainsaws ect which does help with change over from winter to summer and vice versa.
I have sold most of my unused motorcycles, old outboards, old race sleds, and am in the process of getting rid of a couple older 4 wheelers...just too much stuff!

I have started converting to electric for my powerwasher, chainsaws, etc that is probably one of the best ideas!

I forgot I got a Moped too for my oldest to bang around town to practices once she turns 14 because I just don't have time to get them to all their events. That needs a new battery...:rolleyes:

I started a maintain sheet in my shop that is good for 4 years and I make notes and organize it that way and its helped. I may just have to get used to taking a day of vacation to maintain everything.

@sideshowBob I grew up in a marina and know the pains of lake life, some people think oh poor you, but man its a LOT even if you hire it out, its a lot. You have to really love it. I can see why when my Dad got older he kept downsizing. He even sold a ton of tools so he is not tempted to work on things!

i live your pain.

look after 7 outboards, 7 sleds, 3 atv, 2 lawn mowers, 2 chainsaws, 3 generators, 1 brusher, wood splitter, 2 motorcycles, 2 sled trailer, 3 boat trailer, my truck, her suv and my car just for myself. there still is 1 atv i just got given that i need to get running, 2 wave runners that need the engines refreshed or she will buy new ones, 2 gold wings that i need to start or at least turn over engines, a phazer st project to get started on, a ss440 project that i am gathering parts for.

above doesn't count the other car/truck/sled/atv/motorcycle that i help fix or fix for guys. got a polaris atv on the lift that needs brakes, u joints, all 4 wheel bearings, diff/tranny service, oil change and battery replaced while looking for an intermittent running issue when it is hot. other lift has a 03 rx1 on it that i am advising the kid that owns it how to repair it himself as i have enough to do on my own stuff as i did over 1/2 the repairs on a grizzly 660 he was given by his grandfather after it had sat for over 3 years last summer. he was very happy with the results on the atv.

1979 KZ1300 project
How far along are you on that project? I got one cheap years ago that smoked out of the right side. I drove it a few times and was going to paint it in the ELR colors but the thought of tearing into that 6 cylinder convinced me to sell and concentrate my money elsewhere.
Very cool bike that sounds wicked with a six into one pipe.

How far along are you on that project? I got one cheap years ago that smoked out of the right side. I drove it a few times and was going to paint it in the ELR colors but the thought of tearing into that 6 cylinder convinced me to sell and concentrate my money elsewhere.
Loved my ELR

KZ1000R  ELR_small.jpg

Not far on it, it is a back burner project at the moment.

Despite two sleds, a boat, lawn mower and snow-blower, the thing that sucks the most time out of me is a stupid above ground pool. Cleaning & chemicals all summer, covering in the fall and siphoning water off the cover, monitoring all winter and adjusting the cover tension, back to siphoning the water off the cover all Spring.

'Kinger's garage' has grown exponentially but not the revenue in... but $$ OUT. I added some atvs to the mix this year for lack of snow and a park here in Iowa where my 4 seat rzr is just too large. Anyway the maintenance is becoming a full time job for me! Here is my list:

4 seat rzr turbo - Needs all maint items
Polaris sportsman 700 efi - needs everything
Polaris Scrambler 500 carb - needs everything and carb rebuild
MM150cc buggy - tires always flat finally got tubes in them and a better carb so it runs for now
Bad Boy 54" mower - Just did complete service on it
BOB - Apex needs all driveline bearings
Flame - Oil leaking needs "bulletproof" service with BOP parts and I am adding power steering
Killa bee - 600 sdi ski doo needs nothing
2021 enclosed 23' sno pro trailer - needs nothing yet...
1993 mazda rx7 V8 520hp swap - needs glove box repair, paint repair, tires
2001 Jeep wrangler - needs oil change
2016 ford explorer - needs a new sun roof motor and clear sunroof drains, fix moldy smelling vents
2022 Ford raptor - needs nothing for now

If you add my 3 properties maint, I am constantly fixing crap and it feels like 2 steps ahead and 1 back.

First world problems I know, but hey, we all love the ride right! :-o
Lets see that RX7 and share some details of the powertrain!! I love builds like that.

I have a list myself but the thing that really simplified my life was selling the lake house, it free'd up time for all my other toys and hobbies.
my home is enough maintenance and comes with enough equipment itself to maintain.

2021 F150 Lariat
2022 Infinity Q50
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am
2005 Chapparral 285SSI w/twin engine
2012 Mercury RIB with outboard
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder
2021 Arctic Car Riot 800
2005 Skidoo GSX
2021 Toro Zero Turn mower
3 Echo leaf blowers, weed wacker, chainsaws and all the supporting equipment
9,000 watt generator

I am currently searching for an early 80s veicle to put in an LS turbo and an older triple sled for occasional rides.

Overall everything is in good shape and really only requires normal maintenance and desired upgrades but it's a lot of time, I do enjoy wrenching but it can get overwhelming in the spring getting the house/yard ready, summerizing sleds, boat maintenance/buffing/waxing... and not to forget keeping the wife happy!

IMG_5900.jpeg
IMG_5901.jpeg
IMG_5903.jpeg
IMG_5902.jpeg
Lets see that RX7 and share some details of the powertrain!! I love builds like that.

I have a list myself but the thing that really simplified my life was selling the lake house, it free'd up time for all my other toys and hobbies.
my home is enough maintenance and comes with enough equipment itself to maintain.

2021 F150 Lariat
2022 Infinity Q50
1989 Pontiac Turbo Trans Am
2005 Chapparral 285SSI w/twin engine
2012 Mercury RIB with outboard
2017 Yamaha Sidewinder
2021 Arctic Car Riot 800
2005 Skidoo GSX
2021 Toro Zero Turn mower
3 Echo leaf blowers, weed wacker, chainsaws and all the supporting equipment
9,000 watt generator

I am currently searching for an early 80s veicle to put in an LS turbo and an older triple sled for occasional rides.

Overall everything is in good shape and really only requires normal maintenance and desired upgrades but it's a lot of time, I do enjoy wrenching but it can get overwhelming in the spring getting the house/yard ready, summerizing sleds, boat maintenance/buffing/waxing... and not to forget keeping the wife happy!
Here ya go, here is the princess lol.

Back