• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Anyone runnin oem Yammaha Mtn skis trail riding Nytro shorty

terez

Expert
Anyone running oem yamaha Mtn skis on a Nytro shorty (or xtx) trail riding?

I like the tuners for hardpack but they don't have enough keel or are wide enough for loose snow trail or off trail IMO

I have heard good things about oem Yamaha Mtn skis off trail....wondering how they might work on trail??
Prolly need to go with good dually carbide setup or Cobrhead style to address darting??

Thanks

I switched to C&A pro rzr's for the exact same reason. A little bit of extra steering effort but that is the only negative. Not that bad with the oft relocate. Push is completely gone and you can confidently ride hard in any conditions. I run a 6 inch woodys shaper and a 1.5 intense 121 and its by far the best setup I've had to date. The sled flat out rips trails and is half decent off trail surprisingly. It is not a setup for a casual rider though. Needs to be ridden with athority and commitment like a Nytro should lol

I know it's not exactly what your asking but my wife runs the OEM mountain ski with 6" shapers on her 136 Freeride Phazer and she said they where night and day from the stock trail ski and she loves them. And the way she keeps up that ain't no BS

If you are asking regarding your 2013 Nytro, and if there is a newer version of mountain ski for your sled, then this might not apply, but on our 09 Nytro XTX, we run the 7 inch OEM mountain skis with 6 inch studboy deuce bars with a 3/16 inch rubber shim under the heel and about 3/8 inch toeout. Darting virtually eliminated, better flotation in powder.

Running them on my venture light !powder is great ! trails good also with bergstorm ski savers and shims and turned the rubbers around .

Attachments

• IMG-20140302-00032.jpg
    IMG-20140302-00032.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 103
I think the mtx skis are a fantastic upgrade on an xtx but look ridiculous and are overkill on a shorty. 6 inch wide is plenty of ski for a shorty

i run the MTX ski on all 4 of my sleds. They are my favorite skis hands down. I run Bergstrom triple points and ski savers on all of them.
Bang for the buck they're the best IMO. I've been running these skis since 06 on my Attak.

Hard to beat Curves on a Nytro for trail riding and they're wide enough to add some floatation for deeper snow.

bjowett said:
The OEM Mountain ski (not the MT9) has been my go-to ski for years now. A great all around high performance/aggressive ski.

Are you referring to the current generation of oem MTN ski then??

What is the MT9?

What are the different MTN skis offered by Yamaha?
When did they last change and do all the models fit everything or is there fitment issues with different yrs of spindles etc?

Thanks

skis

toyota4runner said:
I think the mtx skis are a fantastic upgrade on an xtx but look ridiculous and are overkill on a shorty. 6 inch wide is plenty of ski for a shorty

Well the Nytro looks entirely ridiculous anyway so that's irrelevant.....

Actually the shorty needs the most help with floatation......overkill...??

Riding a deep lug shorty off trail is FUN...been doin it for yrs....the porky lil Nytro NEEDS front floatation help tho more so than any sled i've ridden.

Going where the longtracks go with yer shorty...Fun...going where the longtracks can't or won't on yer shorty...Priceless!! LOL :-o

The MT 9 is the Gytr ski's. I have them and have not run them yet. I have had an issue trying to get them to work. Spindle on the bottom must be different I bought them approx. 4 yrs ago and just now getting around to put them on.
The XTX could also use some floation help. I do want to sell the MT9 is anybody wants them. I have all the hardware and just bought the carbides.

terez said:
bjowett said:
The OEM Mountain ski (not the MT9) has been my go-to ski for years now. A great all around high performance/aggressive ski.

Are you referring to the current generation of oem MTN ski then??

What is the MT9?

Thanks
The MT9's are a blow molded plastic ski about the size and shape of a small kayak. Terrible ski's! I know people who where trying to give them away..

I ride my shorty off trail quite often and find the wider skis make it harder to throw the sled around and tip it from side to side. There is a point where too much floatation can be a negative unless you're just riding in a strait line.

gitrdun said:
If you are asking regarding your 2013 Nytro, and if there is a newer version of mountain ski for your sled, then this might not apply, but on our 09 Nytro XTX, we run the 7 inch OEM mountain skis with 6 inch studboy deuce bars with a 3/16 inch rubber shim under the heel and about 3/8 inch toeout. Darting virtually eliminated, better flotation in powder.

Im running the same set-up on xtx :Rockon: and really like it .

Back