• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex Motor Oil

crazy canuck said:
Anyone ever try Shell Rotella Synthetic 0-40W oil in their Apex?

I ran it in my 05 Grizzly without any problems but it also had a wet clutch which means it doesn't contain much, if any friction modifiers?

Not sure if those(friction modifiers) would be needed in our 4 strokes or not but my guess, is yes.

All the Shell Rotella Synthetic I have seen and use in most of my vehicles is 5W-40. It is rated for both diesel and gas engines. I use it in both trucks (gas and diesel), wife's Jeep, both diesel tractors and my old car. I too had thought about using it in the sled, but think it might be a bit heavy. Several posts on here over that last year suggest that heavier oils detract from performance and several have gone to 0W-20 for more performance. I have been running Mobil 1 0W-30, but think I might try the 0W-20 for next season.

0-40 is too heavy for the Apex. It will actually slow it down. Run a 0-30 or 0-20. I run Joe Gibbs Racing Oil 0-20.

Just to let you guys know I had my Apex oil just analyzed by Amsoil. I was running the Yamalube semi-syn 0W-30. While they found wear metals to be low (normal), they did say there was a problem with the oil's viscosity/protection. I only had 400 miles on the change (low snow New England this year). I will switch to the Amsoil 0W-40 for next season.

oil

I have been running 5W40 shell rotella in my 05 rx1 Turbo,07 ApexGT supercharger,Thactor, Harley ,VW Deisel,Toyota Tundra,I even put it in my lawn mower lol.. and it does the trick no wear and all the protection you need.Never had a problem with the starting in the cold and in north of N.B. Canada it gets cold.So you mite loss 1 mph at top end but I rather loss 1mph then the eng on the long run at WOT and no protection. Perry...

Liquid Blue said:
Just to let you guys know I had my Apex oil just analyzed by Amsoil. I was running the Yamalube semi-syn 0W-30. While they found wear metals to be low (normal), they did say there was a problem with the oil's viscosity/protection. I only had 400 miles on the change (low snow New England this year). I will switch to the Amsoil 0W-40 for next season.

Not trying to be a smartass, but in all honesty what do you think Amsoil would say about a competitor's oil?

Personally I don't like the stuff; my Grizzly consumed it (Amsoil 0W-40)
my truck (10W-30) plus my old XLT drank the injector oil.

On all vehicles above, when I switched back to either Yamalube(Grizz), Mobil-1(truck) or Shell Advance(xlt) my consumption issues stopped!!

Not bashing, just stating my experiences with the stuff.

Does any body really care what oil others use in their truck, car, or sled??????????

I mean really, all these oil discussions cause is fights, for whatever reason, and in the end nobody changes anyone else's minds.

Now let's get back on track here. The original Q was if anybody has ever used that Rotella engine oil in their Apex, not asking what everybody used.

Irv said:
Liquid Blue said:

Not trying to be a smartass, but in all honesty what do you think Amsoil would say about a competitor's oil?

Personally I don't like the stuff; my Grizzly consumed it (Amsoil 0W-40)
my truck (10W-30) plus my old XLT drank the injector oil.

On all vehicles above, when I switched back to either Yamalube(Grizz), Mobil-1(truck) or Shell Advance(xlt) my consumption issues stopped!!

Not bashing, just stating my experiences with the stuff.
LOL if you told them it was amsoil the results would have been different.

mntvipermn said:
Does any body really care what oil others use in their truck, car, or sled??????????

I mean really, all these oil discussions cause is fights, for whatever reason, and in the end nobody changes anyone else's minds.

Now let's get back on track here. The original Q was if anybody has ever used that Rotella engine oil in their Apex, not asking what everybody used.
Sorry to piss in your cornflakes mntvipermn, it just seemed very odd that Amsoil claimed his "Yamalube" with only "400" miles on it had problems with it's protection and viscosity already???

Imo, they will state anything to try and get you to use their oil, even state a very well known popular excellent oil like Yamalube is worn out after just 400 miles and all the while nobody from Amsoil(techs/engineers etc) couldn explain to me why my toys were consuming their oil like crazy??

I seen my share of oil debates/arguments as well and that is why I stated "not bashing, just stating my experiences with the stuff" in order to quell any future arguments!

I could be sarcastic in my reply, but I will be an adult and state the testing agency I went through was an independent testing laboratory, (OAI Testing). Amsoil merely offers the service as a pass-through. They did not recommend any brand of oil from their analysis. I personally prefer Amsoil from years of using it in my Husky's and KTM's. I hope this clears things up.

in the user manual it will state the prefered viscosity and then it will give the api abrieviations such as sj or a bunch of letters if the oil you are considering meets or exceeds the api clasifications it is ok to use

Back