• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Apex MTX - custom turbo build - Sledneck22

Well I was able to get it out and work the sled kind of hard Yesterday. Hard enough until my low oil like came on.
Turns out I broke off the 1/8 mpt x 1/4 fpt fitting from where the oil pressure sending unit goes and where I teed off for my oil supply.
So I have to get a new fitting and more oil. But I won't be able to ride around here until we get more snow anyway.
I'll add some pictures of the broke fitting and the sunday ride. (EZ out saved the day as the fitting was broke off flush to the motor...)

Attachments

• SUNDAY RIDE.jpg
    SUNDAY RIDE.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 284
  • BROKE OIL FITTING1.jpg
    BROKE OIL FITTING1.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 285
  • BROKE OIL FITTING2.jpg
    BROKE OIL FITTING2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 293

PICTURES

Here are some more pictures of the turbo wrapped and the complete sled.
You can also see my vane oil pump in the first picture. I was able to get it mounted back near the oil reservoir. It really works slick. I also wired in a waring light so I know when the pump isn't on. I also wired the pump into the keyswitch so when I shut the sled off I can turn the key back to the "ON" position and let the pump run for a few seconds to drain the oil from the reservoir and center section to prevent oil blow by on start up.
Anyone with some experience building your own muffler? This thing is loud! Going to try and put come perf metal and packing on the inside of the exhaust pipe to try and quiet it down.

Attachments

• SUNDAY RIDE2.jpg
    SUNDAY RIDE2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 271
  • TUNNEL CHARGE TUBE.jpg
    TUNNEL CHARGE TUBE.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 285
  • MTX3.jpg
    MTX3.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 273
  • MTX2.jpg
    MTX2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 281
  • MTX1.jpg
    MTX1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 280
  • INSTALLED TURBO2.jpg
    INSTALLED TURBO2.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 285
  • INSTALLED TURBO1.jpg
    INSTALLED TURBO1.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 281
Good you got the oil return issue solved. No get that fitting installed and ride the crap out of it - boost on - ride safe :))))

added a new sled to the stable today... a real fixer upper. should be fun haha.

Attachments

• enticer1.jpg
    enticer1.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 276
Starting to think about working on the sled.
I think I have talked myself into a gear type oil scavenger pump. Does anyone that has chimed in here know a good company that sells or makes an oil gear pump. I think with my vane style pump, when the oil was thick on start up, the vanes didn't expand out and the pump was just basically bypassing and didn't pump any oil back. I want to redo my charge tube piping as well this year. I don't need 2 1/2" pipe for 6 lbs plus it is really close to the track and worried about it catching and tairing the tubing off.

Well I have been doing a little bit to my sled. I swapped spark plugs earlier in the year and have been messing with my a/f gauge but haven't been able to dial it in. I'm thinking I need the CD to change the software in the gauge. I can't get it to read anywhere over 4.2-5 for a ratio. I do need to change my charge tube to something a little smaller so I don't hit the track on my clamps any more. It's a really tight fit.
I have put about 150-200 miles on at home so far this year and have to say the sled is running great. I have only been running about 2 psi so far this year though. I think I'm loosing boost somewhere in the charge tube so that's my next check. I already went through all the vacuum lines and reclamped those but haven't found the fix. I also checked the clamps between the throttle bodies and intake plenum. Those are all tight as well. I'll take pictures and repost when I get it in the garage and tore back apart.

Well I had consistently lost boost all year until sunday i couldn't even build a lb. Well I didn't want to run the monroe county TY ride with no boost! So i dug into my sled tonight. found the culprit. Turns out if your intake plenum is cracked, all your boost goes out the door. She'll be welded up tomorrow night. Tonight is checking the rest of the tubing. Always seams like working on the sled is a fire drill. But that's the reason i have one.

Attachments

• apex apart (480x640).jpg
    apex apart (480x640).jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 217
  • holy plenum (640x480).jpg
    holy plenum (640x480).jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 207
  • holy plenum2 (640x480).jpg
    holy plenum2 (640x480).jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 201
found the tube going through the tunnel was getting kind of warm too. No hole but i could see where it was hot. I added some header wrap to the one header to prevent any more damage.

Attachments

• tunnelhole1.jpg
    tunnelhole1.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 203
I have a few more pictures. First is the charge tube in the tunnel with the header wrap. Second is looking down from where the gas tank sits, and final is completely assembled. I added more aluminum tape and some aluminum sheet metal in addition to what I had before for heat shielding.

Attachments

• MTXASSEMBLED.jpg
    MTXASSEMBLED.jpg
    157.3 KB · Views: 209
  • MTX GAS TANK CHARGE TUBE.jpg
    MTX GAS TANK CHARGE TUBE.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 202
  • MTXTUNNEL CHARGE TUBE.jpg
    MTXTUNNEL CHARGE TUBE.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 185
I haven't been on here lately so I figured I'd check out the new site.
First thing first, last ride of last year I snapped one of my MTX front shocks in half. The actual shock shaft 1/4" up from the lower ring mount. Now what the hell should I do? 70% of the time I trail ride, so should I widen the front end and buy standard apex shocks, or try and find one of the shorter shocks meant for the MTX. Ohh summer thinking.

Back