• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Avalanche Airbags

croc79

Extreme
Does anyone have any experience with avalanche airbag backpacks. Which is the best? Affordable? Ease and cost effective to refill? I've looked at ABS escape, Float 30 and Snowpulse Highmark. ABS escape you have to buy the refill kit and handle which is expensive. I know that you can't put a value on your life but if the Float 30 and Snowpulse Highmark work just as well and are less to refill then it make sense to me. I don't know which is the best and would like some insight if anyone has it. Please let me know.
thanks

The Float 30 i seen at the avy class was very nice and you can get the tanks filled at any scuba place. I know that will be the one i will be buying.

I ride with a Snowpulse, for the very reason I can refill it virtually anywhere...and if I have to pull the chord, it does not stop me from riding the next day...any dives shop will have the accessory to fill it, if they dont, any sporting good stores that does paint ball gun refills will...

I am a taller guy 6'2" and preferred the longer torso model of the SNowPulse...

All that being said, I dont ride a lot of terrain that I have felt the need to pull out the chord...only a couple places...so, if your like me and bought it for insurance...the cheapest insurance, is know the snow, and dont go when you are nervous!!!

I use the Snowpulse and the reason I chose it is because of how the bag deploys and provides head protection. 25% of avy victims die of trauma injuries. I'm in the trauma injury business and from my 20 years experience you don't see many survivors of head trauma, as in less than 1% survival rate. When it comes down to it who really cares how much it costs to fill. If you are in a situation where you need your bag refilling the next day is going to be a secondary issue IMO.

Rx1M5

mtdream said:
I ride with a Snowpulse, for the very reason I can refill it virtually anywhere...and if I have to pull the chord, it does not stop me from riding the next day...any dives shop will have the accessory to fill it, if they dont, any sporting good stores that does paint ball gun refills will...

All that being said, I dont ride a lot of terrain that I have felt the need to pull out the chord...only a couple places...so, if your like me and bought it for insurance...the cheapest insurance, is know the snow, and dont go when you are nervous!!!

Just checking... do you use the Highmark model of the SnowPulse bags? I'm about 6'5" and concerned about a good fit as well...

Thanks!

BigECB said:
mtdream said:

Just checking... do you use the Highmark model of the SnowPulse bags? I'm about 6'5" and concerned about a good fit as well...

Thanks!

I have the 30l Lifebag...they did not have the Highmark when I bought this one...Make sure when you order, that you get the "long torso" model, and I am sure you will be happy with it...Mine fits better than any other pack I have had...has nice adjsutability to it etc.

that being said, with safety stuff...I kind of mentally block out whether it fits perfect or whatever, as it is NOT an option for me to wear or not wear... example, beacon is a pain in the butt to wear on your base layer, but it is really (imho) the only safe place to wear it...seen too many people have their coats pulled off them in a slide...and lots even wear it on the outside...

shellnekov said:
Speaking of airbags. Anyone receive theirs from the 2010 promotion. I am sure they will be in time for summer.

They have been shipped from BCA to YMCA (a fair amount anyways) and distribution is underway. Please check with your selling dealer. We were all as patient as possible with BCA and understand how we all want this product to be "right the first time"
Happy seldding
RS

I've been waiting for my Float 30 backpack for almost 4 months. I was going to cancel my order today and order snowpulse but Kevin from Zbrozracing said they are getting a shipment this week. I haven't heard that before. lol. I'll give it another two and half weeks and if no pack then no money from me. This is one of the reasons purchasing things online is no good. Companies advertise products for sale that they don't have. I'm starting to call before ordering to see if they have the item in and if not how long will it take. I stopped doing business with online stores. Hope you all have better luck than I.

Where did you order from?

I pre-ordered from www.snowbigdeal.com and they have been sending updated emails every two weeks since I ordered. They have also offered a 100% refund the entire time if people no longer wanted to wait. Online ordering is fine, just make sure it's from a good company. The guys at SBD are great to deal with.

Nikolai said:
The guys at SBD are great to deal with.

X2. Did a 9 person group buy from them early this year and they gave us a ton of free stuff and a great deal. When I get the money I am getting a AVY pack from them!

Recieved my Float 30 Last Week. The fit, quality, inflation and storage is excellent. Only one ride and about the only thing negative is just getting used to the additional weight of the inflation system and the canister. As far as refilling the unit, my set up included one free refill that took less than a week to return to me. And any additional refill is only $40 which BCA is basically replacing your oxygen cannister with a free one. The reason for this right now is that they are inspecting the O-rings and replacing them between refills. Additionally, you can go to any scuba/paintball shop and refill your canister, it is just BCA is trying to follow there product for maximum assurance of quality. Having tried on the Snowpulse and ABS, I don't think one can justify an additional $500 plus for either of these. Hope this helps!

End

I ride with the ABS Freestyle. To me and the group I ride with, we dont care whos bag you have as long as you have one. Better give yourself any chance you can if you ever need it..

Back