• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery Life

Just replaced my 2007 Yamaha Wolverine battery, was the original!!!! My 19 SRX with 90 miles wouldn't start tonight. Put it on trickle charge for 3hrs and it fired up. tried a second time and no go!

I have both sleds and my ATV on a tender all year....I believe in them

I have done a few batteries threw the years, a few AGMs that have done well. When the last one was not reliable I went to a lithium battery. I wanted a 12 cell for the price but had to get a 16 cell, bugger just in front of me bought the 12 cell. I have moved the battery from the RX1 mtn to the Sidewinder Mtn. I'm on year #6 and just last year bought a charger for the lithium battery, just in case, the battery was $400 Can. I cant say enough about the power this thing has, it has jumped a DEAD battery in a 5.3l and didnt flinch. There is almost no voltage lose in the off season, I do disconnect the harness to the hood in the off season. Coldest start was -25c and no issue. The beer was frozen.
I dont leave my sled out in -20c weather, and I dont often ride in that temp, very rare, a search and rescue situation twice. I would recommend a lithium. Understand though they dont like extreme cold and require the proper charger. I have been using lithium cordless tools for construction for 12 yrs and if looked after properly nothing beats them.
Battery in my sled is an Antigravity brand. they dont have the same one I have any more. My brother put one in his Nitro 2 yrs ago. I will not go back to a lead battery of any type.

The best Lithium battery out there today is Earth-X.
It has BMS or Battery Management System. It has a Solid State board that protects from over-charge, over-discharge, short circuit & cell balancing.
It has a lot more power then a Lead Acid battery & does not need to be "warmed" up in the cold like Shorai.
The Shorai would barely turn the motor over when cold then it would get stronger as it went.

It also weighs 2lbs 8oz compared to 13lbs 14oz stock.
The downfall is it costs about $275 US.
You can buy a Plain Jane battery for about $70 or a stock one for $100 to $130.

My Earth-X is 4 years old & NEVER been charged. Starts the machine every winter like new.
Absolutely AMAZING!

Last edited:
So just to recap the newer lithium batteries are ok in the cold? Get awful frosty here in sask over night and I haven’t had much luck with the “cheapies” not going to say they aren’t any good just looking for something more reliable

My Shorai would crank very slow in the cold under 0.
Then it would get stronger as it cranked, which was just a weird feeling. Opposite of what i grew up with.
This Earth-X didn't have a problem at -10F. Not sure past that

Thanks for the heads up regarding the Earth-X

I replace the battery every 2 or 3 years. No pull start and the fact that replacing the battery isn't exactly a trailside job its cheap insurance. I retire the Apex batterys to my sleds will pull starts.

I have 2010 vector with original battery coming up to 15,000 miles
Put on battery tender for summer
Always in heated garage in winter

So just to recap the newer lithium batteries are ok in the cold? Get awful frosty here in sask over night and I haven’t had much luck with the “cheapies” not going to say they aren’t any good just looking for something more reliable

No Lithiums aren't good for our use or motorcyles. I saw a testing and review on utube by a motorcyle dealer of flooded,agm,gel,lithium and I was surprised the lithium's are no good for our use. Agm's or Glass mat like Yusa etc. did the best for every need.

I had a Yuasa battery that was new (a couple months old) when I bought my RX1 in 2007. This sled has lived outside in a rain forest with salt water spray (waterfront is great until the wind starts blowing 90 knots) and never had any battery maintenance. And the battery had been run it dead several times.

I just replaced it last year (15 years old) because it started getting sluggish when it was really cold. Probably could have used it for another season or two, but decided it was time at the end of last season.

I would have loved to have replaced it with another Yuasa, but no one sells them here and you cannot have batteries shipped here via USPS. So I replaced it with whatever brand O'Reilly's sells. We'll see how the O'Reilly battery does. Time will tell.

I guess the point is that Yuasa batteries seem to have a long life even when they are abused and neglected.

my 2012 sits without a charger always I start it once a month in the off season and run till fully warm about 15 mins. it has the oem battery.
My 12 Apex has the original battery also, over 21,000 miles and is on a tender during the summer.

The only time my sleds are not on the tender is when I'm riding.

Back