• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery Problem/Questions

If it is the stock Apex battery it is sealed with no way to see inside.

thor452 said:
the tender is always working so it will produce heat and cost money to run not a ton but still you also may have a bad cell with tender off and batt at full charge check voltage at batt it should be 12.6 volts when at rest 12.3 volts or less you have a bad cell and should replace the batery so you dont run into trouble in the winter. if it is 12.5 and up the batery is working on all cells and the tender is just getting hot cause it is changing ac to dc and probably is not vented enuff. if you are concerned for the light bill then yes once a month for a day or two will be fine.

Just put the tender back on the battery and in less than a minute the red light went out and the green flashed.

I never seen how long it flashed for before going to a solid green but I just came back in and the Battery Tender is no longer hot to the touch, just luke warm.

I will still get the battery tested before the season starts but I think the previous problem/heat was due to it probably being close to dead?

Also, still curious what is/are better replacement(s) for the factory Yuasa batteries?

Yuasa is longest lasting in my opinion.But I really have had good luck with Deka lately and they are made in USA.I am afraid that some Yuasa are being made in China and even the OEM Yuasa batteries no longer have any warranty.

Battery

Yuasa YTX 14 HBS has a little bit more cold cranking amps than the original Yuasa battery. They cost $96.00 up in Maine.

cannondale27 said:
Yuasa is longest lasting in my opinion.But I really have had good luck with Deka lately and they are made in USA.I am afraid that some Yuasa are being made in China and even the OEM Yuasa batteries no longer have any warranty.

X2
I've always had great luck with Yuasa and imo I thought they WERE the best available?

Re: Battery

youngdman said:
Yuasa YTX 14 HBS has a little bit more cold cranking amps than the original Yuasa battery. They cost $96.00 up in Maine.

Good to know.

Thanks ;)!

Problem with some of the batteries with more cranking amps than stock is that in order to get those extra amps they must put more plates in the battery.Battery size is same therefore the plates are thinner and closer together to fit more in there.This leads to trouble with vibration or even just a good jolt.Most OEM batteries Yuasa sealed batteries included need the acid put in them on setup.This is good since it ensures the customer a fresh battery.Most of the higher amp batteries such as the Z series Yuasa are filled at factory and by time you get them who knows how long they have been sitting around losing charge.Stay away from any Yuasa Z series batteries.

cannondale27 said:
Problem with some of the batteries with more cranking amps than stock is that in order to get those extra amps they must put more plates in the battery.Battery size is same therefore the plates are thinner and closer together to fit more in there.This leads to trouble with vibration or even just a good jolt.Most OEM batteries Yuasa sealed batteries included need the acid put in them on setup.This is good since it ensures the customer a fresh battery.Most of the higher amp batteries such as the Z series Yuasa are filled at factory and by time you get them who knows how long they have been sitting around losing charge.Stay away from any Yuasa Z series batteries.

Thanks again ;)!

I like to start my 07 Vector every 3 or 4 weeks during the summer. Tried to start it over the weekend but starter only clicked. It jump started no problem, and ran it untill it started getting warm.No luck trying to restart it just on sled battery.Is there a deeper problem (stater?) or did I just get lucky the battery went at plus 30 C not at minus 30 C?

Heat can be just as hard on a battery as cold.Corrosion can build up over time also_Only way to check a sealed battery like ours is a load test.If it fails its junk.Can be done with a voltmeter and cranking but best is with a tester.

Cannondale27 has it right. My optimium 4 battery charger tells me that my battery was fully charged but would hardly turnover my Vector. I had the battery load tested and it was at 35%. Bought a new Yamaha battery at $110.00.

be sure battery has a full charge before load testing it. Roz i would put a charger on it first and then see if it will take a charge if it will and it starts the sled then have it load tested it will be the only way to be sure it is the battery and not a drain in the system.

Yes needs to be charged.
If it wont charge use a old fashioned battery charger for about a half hr.Then go to your Battery Tender.Most "smart" chargers will not charge a fully discharged battery because they think it is faulty.Another way is to use a good battery in between.

Back