• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Battery replacement, low voltage fix

I use an antigravity lithium ion battery, have had great luck so far. Started my viper and phazer at -20 with no jump pack.

I use an antigravity lithium ion battery, have had great luck so far. Started my viper and phazer at -20 with no jump pack.
Booster pack yes they use lithium ion. But their battery replacement are lithium iron (Lifepo4).

You may want to pull the starter and check the magnets and brush wear. I've found some of these startup issues to be directly related to bad starters. An insufficient starter draws down power to the ECU and also lacks the proper rotational forces needed to roll over the 4 stroke engine. The Yamaha starters have been problematic over the years. I replaced my 2015 viper's starter last season with 7-8 thousands miles on it and the brushes were worn out.

If you have running or idling issues after startup then you may have a spun reluctor ring on the stub shaft, a failing crank position sensor or it's time to check and adjust (if needed) the valve clearence.

You may want to pull the starter and check the magnets and brush wear. I've found some of these startup issues to be directly related to bad starters. An insufficient starter draws down power to the ECU and also lacks the proper rotational forces needed to roll over the 4 stroke engine. The Yamaha starters have been problematic over the years. I replaced my 2015 viper's starter last season with 7-8 thousands miles on it and the brushes were worn out.

If you have running or idling issues after startup then you may have a spun reluctor ring on the stub shaft, a failing crank position sensor or it's time to check and adjust (if needed) the valve clearence.
Idle fixed. Throttle cable adjustment.

Well still having issues with starting and kickback. This morning did not want to turn over at all. Tested the battery after it was running and its only pulling 12.5-.7. Drain somewhere? Maybe regulator?

Well I took the starter out and this is what I found. Few loose pieces inside. Hope that this is the issue. Have a new starter to install.

Attachments

• starter 1.JPG
    starter 1.JPG
    108.9 KB · Views: 52
  • magnet.JPG
    magnet.JPG
    29.3 KB · Views: 54
Well I took the starter out and this is what I found. Few loose pieces inside. Hope that this is the issue. Have a new starter to install.
It was time for a new one. I think you'll be good after the replacement.

A couple more pics. I would say it was shot. Broken at cover over the shaft. Starts as smooth as butter now. Was pretty easy to do as well.

Attachments

• starter 2.JPG
    starter 2.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 44
  • starter 3.JPG
    starter 3.JPG
    25.8 KB · Views: 41

Back