• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Belt slipping

Rooster33

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2012 Yamaha Nytro
Now I’m having another problem wonder if you guys can help.. it feels as if the belt or clutch is slipping... I will be running along at 65 or 70 and it feels like the belt isn’t engaging and the motor redlines.. then it kicks back in.. I took the cover off and it smells like belt was burning. And there was black resadue everywhere, I changed the belt and it’s still doing it? Any one know what this is? It started when I was riding in deep snow, but now it will do it even on a trail.. please help

Plastic skid plate under engine missing.
Getting snow on clutches.
I’m at work right now and will check in the morning, if that’s the case will it be fine once it drys out? And do you just replace it? This would make sense because I rode it for a long time before it started happening

Plastic skid plate under engine missing.
Getting snow on clutches.

You are right I lost the skid plate. Once this drys out will it run good again?

Also did you just replace with a stock one? An do you know of any temporary fixes while I wait for part?

I went with the mountain tech aluminum skid plate on mine.
It also protects the heat exchanger and bottom of engine in case you hit something.

I would not drive it without a skid plate. Your clutches will get wet and start slipping and cause damage to belt and clutches.

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Snapped two belts in a week before I realized I was missing the OEM skid plate.

Order up a Mountain Tech skid plate and never worry about it again!

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. Snapped two belts in a week before I realized I was missing the OEM skid plate.

Order up a Mountain Tech skid plate and never worry about it again!
What’s the website for the mountain tech plate?

If your belt is oily put a rubber hose on the drain nipple from the air box. A hose out the bottom stops the oil tank slobber from being pulled onto the belt with the air flow under the hood. I have all the plastics in place and the aluminum skid plate on my sled and I really can't run in much powder at all without the belt slipping. I put duck tape over the hood vents. My belt will also slip if I don't let the sheaves warm up a little bit before I get on it. Half mile on the trail does it. This year I replaced my worn out Ulmers clutch kit with a Schmit Bothers kit, I like it but now I will get some belt slip if I'm running at a steady speed like 60-65. If I let off or very the speed a little bit it doesn't bother. I think my secondary is hanging a little bit. The helix has a new bushing in it and the one in the movable sheave has a years riding on it. I douse the ramps with silicone spray and that helps for a while.

I went out and bought a roll of pet screen and covered every vent and opening in the hood and side panels. It definitely helps keep snow out of the engine bay. Would recommend if you ride in powder a lot.

Back