• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Bent subframe?

sharky007

Extreme
I was out today trail riding on my 09 rtx when I got home I noticed that the Left fox shock is not in the center of the a arm like the right side. We where running in deep powder and did not hit anything.. The sub frame looks fine... Anyone else see this?

It might be bent. Kind of hard to tell without seeing it and going on a 'not centered' description. Is it rubbing or close to rubbing the upper arm? Does the bottom plate between the lower arms have a wrinkle in it? Does one ski look farther back than the other?

Crewchief47 said:
It might be bent. Kind of hard to tell without seeing it and going on a 'not centered' description. Is it rubbing or close to rubbing the upper arm? Does the bottom plate between the lower arms have a wrinkle in it? Does one ski look farther back than the other?

I can't see any wrinkle in the bottom plate, and the shock is less then a half inch out compared to the right. The shock is not rubbing

You can check this angle (caster) with a straight edge and an angle finder if you have those available. Otherwise, you can measure from the ski bolt to some location on the rear of the tunnel to see if there is any significant difference. There may be some variance due to manufacturing tolerance but they should be within, say, a 1/2" I would think.

Attachments

• DSC00142.JPG
    DSC00142.JPG
    106 KB · Views: 80
Raise the front of the sled off the ground with the skis hanging freely. Check to see if there is any play in the front suspension by grabbing each of the ski loops.

It's possible that one of the upper A arm bolts has loosened and come out. There was a bulletion on these bolts. Check the other bolts on the lower A arms too.

This sled is brand new?

Grimm said:
Raise the front of the sled off the ground with the skis hanging freely. Check to see if there is any play in the front suspension by grabbing each of the ski loops.

It's possible that one of the upper A arm bolts has loosened and come out. There was a bulletion on these bolts. Check the other bolts on the lower A arms too.

This sled is brand new?

Yes the sled is brand new, I did raise it off the ground and nothing feels loose. I have been checking the front end everytime i've been out and last night I noticed the one shock is alittle farther back then before.I'm going take it to the dealer this morning.

maybe the new frame update with the stronger gusset material is no longer bending diagonally like we've seen in the past. If you didn't hit anything the a-arms are probably ok so I'll bet the lower a-arm mounting tower is tweaked. It only takes a small amount of movement in the mount to see a large difference at the shock. The rear a-arm mount has very little support at the top and is the weakest point. The steering pivot bolts to the center of the mount and I believe acts as a rotating point for the arms. Until Yamaha addresses the subframe issue properly we're going to continue to hear reports of this problem. The only fix for now is to add support yourself.

Try bending it back with a pry bar.

bendingforce.jpg

Don't use a pry bar just yet...as you might damage the paint and the Dealer will deny a warranty repair. They'll use that scratched paint as evidence that you hit something...like my former Dealer did.

im haveing the same type of issue with the shock not being centered in the A-Arms i took it to my nearests dealer and i did buy the YES.. so my question is are any dealers covering this under warranty?

grizztracks said:
maybe the new frame update with the stronger gusset material is no longer bending diagonally like we've seen in the past. If you didn't hit anything the a-arms are probably ok so I'll bet the lower a-arm mounting tower is tweaked. It only takes a small amount of movement in the mount to see a large difference at the shock. The rear a-arm mount has very little support at the top and is the weakest point. The steering pivot bolts to the center of the mount and I believe acts as a rotating point for the arms. Until Yamaha addresses the subframe issue properly we're going to continue to hear reports of this problem. The only fix for now is to add support yourself.

Try bending it back with a pry bar.

I took it to the dealer this morning and showed them,they documented the shock is farther back and that there is no sign of damage from contact. I rode it today it rides fine other then that.

Back