• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

Best performance mod on the cheap

Yamawobble

Country
USA
Snowmobile
Nytro xtx
Hello fellas, first time posting on here as I just picked up a 11 nytro xtx.

I already have skis and steering relocate so now I am moving on to moding for more engine performance. I know what I would like and what works by reading posts on this website but I can't decide which mod to do that is in my 400-500 price range.

If you had to pick one of these mods which would do you think would give me the best bang for my buck. I will be trail riding so not to concerned with adding top end, mostly just launch and mid range.

Pc5
Clutch work
Air intake kit from ulmers
Exhaust
Or anything else I have not listed.

Keep in mind I am a newbe when it comes to engine mods especially with a fuel injected sled.

Last edited:

Get a good clutch kit! I'm running a Schmidt Bros stage 2, and I love it. I ran a season first and then I put it on so I could gauge the difference. It gave me a smoother take off, and a lot of grunt in the bottom and mid range. It felt like a new beast for sure!

I was leaning toward a clutch kit also, either from ulmers or Schmidt bros. They seem like the best mod you can do for the money I have to spend.

I have been reading about engine mods all day today, I am surprised my eyes haven't started bleeding

Adding these mods to the sled is an addiction for sure. This site is addictive too! A lot of great guys who like to help.
Don't worry, your not the only guy dreaming about snow and planning mods today.

intake, exhaust, and pcv are used together one alone doesn't do much. so your left with the clutch kit which is the best bang for the buck mod anyway.

Evolution ECU reflash can get you as much as 6-8 HP along with some gains in handle bar heater performance.

If your planning on going off trail at all I'm going to recomend that you look at the Mountaintech skid plate. Mine has saved my bacon (and engine) more times then I can count. The stock plastic one just doesn't cut it!

If your planning on going off trail at all I'm going to recomend that you look at the Mountaintech skid plate. Mine has saved my bacon (and engine) more times then I can count. The stock plastic one just doesn't cut it!

I will be going off the trail alot, that's the main reason I went with an xtx. I do have a skid plate and its plastic but i think its the aftermarket one that you can find on eBay for around 120 bucks. It was on the sled when I bought it so I have no idea who makes it.

For a few bucks I would buy the metal one! I launched off of mine hard twice last year. If I was running plastic I'm sure I would have torn into the engine. But with the Mountaintech all I have is a gouge in the plate.

I seen the mountaintech skid plate you were talking about, I think I can duplicate the short one they have. I am pretty handy with cutting torchs and welders. I am in the process of reinforcing my subframe as we speak.

The list of things I want to do\purchase seems to be growing everyday. Winter better get here asap

I reinforced my subframe using a kit sold by a member here called the Grizz gusset kit. It's tough as hell now.

A 2nd for not wasting ones time and just ordering a griz gusset kit. Its well engineered, even the dealer here recommends ordering one before you need one. Doesn't add any performance beyond stiffening the frame, but it sure can save some money if you bump something that would of bent the un gusseted subframe.

Can grizz's kit be installed with the frame in the sled ?

Question. Are you doing multiple mods over time or just want one best bang for the buck mod, because yes clutching can help and pc or similar mods. If your doing just one mod evolution reflash sounds like the best overall. If your doing everything then clutching should be last as you want that dialed into what your kids are, Evo or pcv/with ign module for ecu or intake kit is probably best starting spot. Pcv you can update as you get more mods and your needs change.

Back